How CRITICAL is this?

KSW

Registered Users (C)
I received my green card, but my last name is spelled incorrectly. How critical are these name-related errors on the card? What implications/problems can that have in INS records and during traveling abroad?

Thanks in advance for clarification.

No Title

When in doubt, throw the card out.
File I-90 to get a replacement. The
mistake is made by the INS so you don\'t
even have to pay a fee

Would like to get stranded at POE

Get the damn innefficient INS to fix their mistakes. You may end up being stranded and unecessary scrutiny at POE whenevr you travel.

Thanks....I was already planning on

filing for I-90. As we all know, replacement card takes a few months at the least, and I\'m not sure what exactly are the travel complications if I travel with the card with misspelled last name....as Xkuger pointed out, POE problems can be definitely expected.

I would ideally like to keep the card that I got, and file for correction without having to submit it. That way I will atleast have something. I don\'t know if that would be acceptable.

Any suggestions?

No Title

The actual card may take a few months. But you can immediately
get a new I-551 stamp on your passport when you file I-90 at a
local INS office. Use that passport stamp for the travel.

No Title

When you will submit I-90, INS will take your old card. Don\'t worry about it. You will have stamp on your passport to prove your permanent residency. you can easily travel on it. If your stamp is expiring INS will re stamp the passport during I-90 submission.

I have gone through this procedure. I got my replacement card in two months.

No Title

I filed my I-90 in Chicago INS office and I submitted
1.I-90 Application form.
2.2 GC photographs
3.Original Plastic Card
4.Proof showing your correct last name (passport copy/ Birth Certificate)
5.Letter describing the mistake and correct last name.(Optional)
6. Top portion of INS letter you received along with original Plastic card (Optional)
7. Carry check book with you in case you need.