How cases are handled @ TSC: immigration attorney visits facility

Allan

Registered Users (C)
Just for better understanding how INS works.

Complete text http://www.usvisanews.com/lorenzo-sc-visit.html

Quote:
\'The St. Augustine Road facility is the mail room and storage part of the operation but it is not just down the hall or down the street from the other building. The facilities are a good 30 minutes away from each other if the traffic is perfect. Those of you who live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area know that traffic is anything but perfect.

When a given case arrives at the mail docks at St. Augustine Road, it is sorted and a file is opened. That file is later transferred to the North Stemmons Freeway facility when its time comes for adjudication. Once the officer at North Stemmons Freeway either decides to send a Request for Further Evidence (RFE) or approve the case, the file is actually shipped back to St. Augustine Road. If we are dealing with an RFE, when the RFE response arrives at St. Augustine Road, the response is matched with the file and then sent back to North Stemmons Freeway for the officer to consider. When the officer decides to approve or deny the case, the file is sent back to St. Augustine Road where a decision notice is then generated and sent to us, the public.

For any of you who have ever wondered where the files are stored while priority dates are becoming current or where files are stored pending an RFE response, I had an opportunity to see the room. Just imagine a large warehouse with aluminum metal shelving about six feet high and stretching over the length and width of a football field. Then imagine boxes with cases and mail being handled with forklifts and you pretty much have the picture.

Before Monday, I was truly baffled at how TSC could lose or misplace a file. Today I am not amazed at the fact that files are lost or misplaced; frankly, I am amazed that MORE files are not lost or misplaced. I am also no longer intrigued as to why it is that if I send an RFE response via Airborne for delivery tomorrow morning, a decision will not be made tomorrow, or the next day for that matter. It is one thing to talk about the raw number of petitions and mail processed at TSC, which I knew and will discuss below, but it is quite another to see it in person and appreciate it with your own eyes.

My mind is still blown away by the fact that these thousands of files are ping pong balls struck back and forth over a distance of 25 miles. By the way, that also explains why it is that if we ever send additional information on a particular file at a time when INS has not requested it, it has little chance of actually being matched up with the file.

I am not quite sure what it is that I expected to see but I think that I imagined an "automatized" operation with conveyor belts, mail sorters of some kind, and machines that printed out the notices, folded the notices and stuffed them in the envelopes. What I saw was a worker\'s beehive of activity where almost all the labor is done by the old fashioned method: the human hand. \'