How can I sponsor my parents without citizenship

soulpetite

I filed for I-485 last november, and I received my Work autorization 2002 February.
WHEN can I sponsor my parents?
Can I sponsor my parents when I get my green card?
Is there anyway ?

Or do I have to wait all the way till I get a citizenship?
Is there no way they can come here and set up a bisnuess, or get a business visa, without spending as much as 100K?

Please advise.

There is a trick that can make your family reunion a littel faster

you can ask your parents to come to the US on a nonimmigrant visa first. For example, they can come to the US as B-2 visitors, then they can file I-539 to extend their stays. I know for Chinese passports the maximum stay is usually 18 months. You should plan this before you are ready to file your N400. Hopefully during this 18 months, your N400 is approved, you got your naturalization certificate and you can file I131 and I485 for your parents. Then they can legally wait in the US until their I-485 is approved.

What is N400 ??

What is I131 ?

Can you elaborate on what is the process for sponsoring the parents ?

** e.g. How many stages (e.g. for us there were three stages, labour, I140, I485).
** and approx. how much time does it take for the parents to get PR status after starting the process ?

** Also what is the process if parents are not present in US ? and how long does it take in that case ?
** Does their case fall under Family Based Category (I think wait is too long for family based cases).

thanks a lot for the info

Hi Dawson a question

Why do you say that the parents need to be in USA when you file your N400. Is it just because you can apply for their I485 the day you take the oath to get their GC ASAP or do you have any reason to believe that INS will not let them enter US or something else because they become "potential immigrant" ?
Thanks,
Vivek

Addendum to last stmt

In my last stmt., I forgot to add that I still want them to be here when I file for their I485, so that they can stay legally in US, but am concerned about the scenario where N400 takes a long time or if new INS rules allow them to stay for a lesser time eg 180 days. So I plan to bring them here on visitor visa after my oath ceremony and then file their I485.
Thanks,
Vivek

Thanks Joe for the info ! How long does it take for the parents\' I485 approval ?

Does it take the same amount of time as it took in our case (approx. 9 months).

thanks again !

Here is an example ...

May mistake, it is I-130, not I-131. I personally know someone did this in CSC:
Son received green card 06/1994;
Son filed N-400 07/1999;
Parents arrive in US 12/1999;
Praents filed I-539, to extend stay until 12/2000;
Son went to oath ceremony 10/2000;
I-130 and I485 filed at local INS one week before the B-2 expiration;
I-485 approved 08/2001.

thanks Joe and dawson for the info !! One more question:

During the time parents\' I485 processing is going on, what happens if they have to go back to their country for short time. Can they then enter US on AP (assuming they apply for AP) ?

thanks for the answers !!