How can I apply for licensure exam from India please help..??

vimpy

Registered Users (C)
:confused: Can any one guide me on how to apply for licensure exam from India.. most of the state board licensure exam applications have the social security number that I can't have.. also if given permission to take exam (after education evaluation) what is the best way to come to USA since the exam is given only in USA.. Is it easy to get tourist visa. any other option..anyone .. please help ???

> most of the state board licensure exam applications have the social
> security number that I can't have..

You won't be dealing with the state licensing boards until application for step3 of the licensing exam. Don't worry about not having a SSN.
You will only be able to apply for licensure after you have worked as a resident physician here for 2-3 years. At that point, you will have your SSN.

The first step is to get your application for USMLE step1 from the 'educational commission for foreign medical graduates'.
www.ecfmg.org
Look for the '2004 information booklet' it explains the process.

> the best way to come to USA since the exam is given only in USA..

USMLE step 1 is given at many places in the world. For the exams you have to take here (step2CS and step3) you will need a B1/B2 visa.

Thanks for the reply .... sorry I was actually reffering to the licenusre for physical therapist.. all the applications from state licensure exams requires ssn, will they allow me to take exam without ssn in the application .. and also I don't know if it is easy to get vistors visa to usa to give those exams after one is approved to take it..
Any easy states that I should apply.. ..any help and pointers would be appreciated..thanks :confused:

Thanks teddy_taurus !

Any one here has info on how easy it is to get tourist visa to USA from India for giving physical therapy licensure exam... any tips and is it easy to get visa for guam ... any pointers would be appreciated.
Did any one here came from India on Tourist visa to give the licensure exam..Also they say a new rule says that you cannot get H1 till you have cleared licensure exam.. so then how will anyone come here to give the exam.. other than tourist :rolleyes:

Sorry vimpy, I didn't look at the title of the forum. In my 'doctor centric' view of the world I assumed you were talking about physcician licensure.

I can't help you with the PT licensure issue. I DO know that we need you guys and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavour.

State board doesn't require SSN to apply and write the exam. It is after you pass your exam then they need a SSN in order to issue you the license or PTLA status.
Regarding tourist visa, do you need to tell them that you're coming to do an exam? You can just tell them you're visiting the country, visiting friends, etc....right?

More info on P.T. exam: www.fsbpt.org

One more thing, regarding getting H1B or any other type of working visa, yes, you need to pass your exam first, then find someone to employ you, then get working visa (in your case H1B), then go to Social security office to get SSN, then get your license or PTLA status. The whole process can take a long time, I mean counting from after you pass the exam.
For example, after you pass your exam, it may take ???weeks/months to get a job. Right now job market is good so hopefully it won't take too long. But need sponsorship for working visa is another story. To get H1B on regular basis takes 6 months (15 business days if you expedite the service). For SSN they always say 6-8 weeks but I got mine in 2-3 weeks. Then you send your SSN to state borad to get PT license, which took me another 2 weeks.
The only difference for me is, I was on TN not H1B. It took me total of 2 months before I started working (after passing the exam).

> Regarding tourist visa, do you need to tell them that you're coming
> to do an exam? You can just tell them you're visiting the country,
> visiting friends, etc....right?

Here is the problem:
It is a legitimate reason to come into the country for an exam that allows you to do business in the US, therefore you are allowed to enter on a B1 visa. They might however suspect (in your case correctly) that you actually come to eventually work or study in the US and deny you the visa on that grounds. (I understand that it is hard enough to get a visitors visa from india, I am not sure how realistic it is to get a B1 out of them if you tell them that you come for a licensing exam)

Now, the easiest way is certainly to enter as a tourist and just write the exam. I haven't heard of anyone who later had any issues or questions regarding a trip for exam purposes. I have however heard of a friend who was here for a 8week 'internship' and entered on a visa waiver. When he applied for his H1b, they did ask uncomfortable questions.

ThankU guys for the comments.
Any one who got a visa to take exam from India to US (tourist or other wise) :D Any one who could guide my way to US for writting my PT licensure exam. thanks a lot

Help !

1. For an H4 person -Can she sit for Physiotherapy License exam without SSN or
2.I have a GC, can I open a company and file for her H1 ?

You can sit for the P.T. exam even if you don't have a SSN.
2nd question, better consult a lawyer. If the company is too small, USCIS will question the GC application, etc....