How are days calculated?

PSG2004

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

The facts of my case are as follows:

1. Concurrent application in Sept. 2003
2. EAD, I 140 and AP approved.

I have a job offer and needed advice.

1. Is the 180 day rule applicable from the date on the INS receipt or from the date when they act on it? How do you determine the date that INS took action on my case?
2. Should the AC-21 formalities be completed before starting the new job?
3. What documents should be submitted? What should the new company submit?

I'll appreciate any help because I am hearing 10 different things from different people and would like to know what somebody in a similar situation had done.

Thanks and regards.

PSG2004 said:
1. Is the 180 day rule applicable from the date on the INS receipt or from the date when they act on it? How do you determine the date that INS took action on my case?
They count 180 days from receipt date of 485. It's mentioned on your receipt.

PSG2004 said:
2. Should the AC-21 formalities be completed before starting the new job?

No. You can send ac21 documents after starting job too. Some people take a stand that these should be sent only if CIS asks for them.

PSG2004 said:
3. What documents should be submitted? What should the new company submit?
If you decide to send the docs they should include -
employment verification letter indicating that you are now empoloyed by this new employer along with your new title, salary, location and job responsibilities. Try to mentioned job responsibilities as close as possible to the ones mentioned in your LC.

The key here it to insist on "same or similar" job in this letter.

Many people also send financial statement of the company - generally found in the annual reports or if your company is more than 100 persons then a simple statement by your CFO stating that they have ability to pay your salaries is sufficient. But check with your attorney. You should take these letters from the new company and then your attorney or yourself can submit them to CIS.