how accurate/helpeful is the USCIS online case status page?

TwoScoops

how accurate/helpeful is the USCIS online case status page? I registered on that page to receive email updates. Will they really email me if there are any updates? :)

thanks!

Considering 1/2 the N-400 cases they don't even bother putting in there in the first place and another 1/4 whose status isn't updated, then I wouldn't be expecting much if anything from them if they do an update...

Use it as an indication of possible truth, not as something accurate. It's like looking up in the sky and seeing clouds. That means that it's more likely to rain, not that it's going to rain.

The information may or may not be useful or timely.

Worthless, completely worthless.
I have been a US citizen for 4 weeks now and my case is still "pending at Vermont Service Center".....

Worthless, completely worthless.
I have been a US citizen for 4 weeks now and my case is still "pending at Vermont Service Center".....
Ditto. Have been citizen for two months and according to the website my case is still pending...

the online status is not really reliable. however the d/o processing date does match my priority date. Online they show that the current processing date is 9/12, my priority date is 9/5, and i did get the IL this week. but my status online is still pending.

My take on it is that when you see something changing with your status there (when somebody in USCIS does not forget to update it), then it is a helpful indication that there is some progress there. But if it does not change you should NOT take it as a reliable indication that NOTHING is happening with your case (USCIS may have not been diligent to update it). So I cannot agree that it is completely irrelevant or wasteful.

In my case status disappeared (returned failure) at about the same date with my interview letter notice date (notice date printed on the IV letter). I've got letter in mail couple days later.

My spouse's status has disappeared today. We'll see what is going to happen.

Response to your question

how accurate/helpeful is the USCIS online case status page? I registered on that page to receive email updates. Will they really email me if there are any updates? :)

thanks!

Hi,
I became an US citizen on April11nth, 2007. The USCIS online case status page never updates your status to a citizen. So the information provided by the online case status should be taken with a grain of salt. Hope this is helpful.

The only thing it's useful for is to find out that they have your application. However, you don't really get a tracking number until you get a receipt, which lets you know they have your application.

So, it's good for absolutely nothing.

Nothing happened to my on-line case status since the original registration on the USCIS web-site back in December 2006. It still says case received and pending, last action date 12/22/2006...although I have received my interview letter.

Search for word "disappeared" on this forum. You'll find a lot of people reporting that and then getting interview letters soon. That does not mean though that it happens to everyone. Since that (USCIS) is a government agency...

I became a citizen on 12/4/7 and I was never able to pull my case # on line - I always got some message that said it wasn't a valid number.