Housing discrimination

villalobos

Registered Users (C)
Finally, after 12 years of being a ghost in this country, I received my green card in june. During the years prior of legalizing my situation I made up a SSN that I used to work then I applied and later received an ITIN # for tax purposes, I have paid taxes for every year that I have been here.

Now, with my wife, we have decided to buy a house, we applied with usbank, the mortgage agent was incompetent to say the least, it took him almost a month to finally tell us we were rejected because 3 SSN were attached to my name and that raised red flags. When he was filling out all the information for the loan I did point him out I wasn't a citizen like he was stating, I doubt he chaged it.

That's one, after we were rejected only two days before closing, I contacted huntigton bank's mortgage office to see if we could apply for a loan there, I explained beforehand the situation and didn't receive a response from the agent until today, after 3 days, that their underwriting person wasn't even going to touch our case because of this and that I should wait two years and pay taxes and then think about buying a house, even though I am a permanent resident have had a steady job for the last 4 years and they didn't even have any of my personal information.

I need advise on who should I contact or what can I do, I feel it was a discriminatory act against me.

I thank you in advance.

It's not discriminatory, although, one could certainly lament and state that case. In fact, it's high risk if someone has 3 SS#'s attached to them. How do they know which one is real? Are you a fraud? That's how they see it... so, when dealing with money, they want to make sure they wonn't lose it.

I would suggest getting help from a tax attorney or accountant somehow to see if you can get those other SSN's removed from your name. Contact the SSA as well and see if you can do anything about that...

Thanks for the reply.

The ITIN number has been deactivated when I contacted IRS to assign any information on it to my SSN, the other one was used to work only, I never tried to use it to establish credit.

Again, thank you.

I agreed that it is NOT discrimination... its just that your credit report has too many "red flags" that tells the lender that it may be fraud involved...

Now... if you only used the "fake" social security for work and no to stablish credit; then, it should not be in your credit report...however, sometimes gets there other ways.... If you have applied or get credit with that number the banks will report the credit bureaus....

Now, if you said that you didnt use that number to stablish credit, then what you can do is to put an investigation with the 3 credit bureaus and challenge that social (called them or go online)... if there have never been a bank account opened with that social, and with your name...then that number will be completely erased it from your report...

If on the other hand, there have been or there is an account with that social and you name... even if is closed... it will be very hard to remove it from your credit report...

I kind of had the same issue... and thats how I solved it... (in my case I never opened a credit account with that social)...

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator: