hope someone can clarify this for me

laxdef14

Registered Users (C)
since no new immigration reform bill passed due to the disagreements of the parties to find one thing they can agree on, is the talk for immigration reform done for the year? this may be a stupid question but im just a bit confused. since nothing passed, does this mean people have to wait till next year for the senate, the house, and the president to fix the corrupt immigration policy?

I don't think so

The Senate went on break for two weeks and they'll keep discussing the reform. The president is urging them to pass a comprehensive immigration reform because he knows that the country urgently needs one. I pray and hope for the best.

laxdef14 said:
since no new immigration reform bill passed due to the disagreements of the parties to find one thing they can agree on, is the talk for immigration reform done for the year? this may be a stupid question but im just a bit confused. since nothing passed, does this mean people have to wait till next year for the senate, the house, and the president to fix the corrupt immigration policy?
They will be back at it after their holiday. So if you're illegal under the "corrupt immigration policy", you still are and probably will be for the immediate future. :(

thanks for clarifying this issue for me. im currently waiting for my visa number to become current (in about a year) but i still wanna keep my options open. hope everyone is enjoying their spring break.

is dream act part of the whole big guest worker thing? or is it by itself?

i dont really see why it still hasnt passed. the peope who qualify were brought here as minors. and mostly those people are army age. and well recruiting hasnt been that great past few years.

what's stopping dream act? just ignorance?

skoolus said:
. and mostly those people are army age. and well recruiting hasnt been that great past few years.

What makes you think that those people are going to enroll if they become legal residents?

Usually people who join the Military are real patriots who love this country...the way I see the illegals wrapped in the Mexican flag when they go on the streets...is obvious that they don't give a rat ass about this country and they will never sacrifice their sweet lives to enroll.
:rolleyes:

I may not be able to talk on the behalf of all immigrants, but for myself, I been waiting to go to the U.S Marines Corps since I was seven. I live in New York, and I saw when the U.S. was under attack on 9/11. I tried to sign up, because I love this country and I'm willing to die for it. Yet I could not sign up because of my status. You may consired me an illegal immigrant, and think that I'm here just to take your jobs. However, despite anything you can say I love America, I love it. And nothing you can say could ever changed that :) . I saluted the U.S flag in school and when my beloved New York Yankees take the field. The Dream Act requires that if do not go to college, you go enlist in the military. Which I plan to do, and I hope that they send me to Iraq. I have friends over there, and I would love to fight by their side. Listen I know you will never changed your mind about us, how you think that we should all be deported. Fine... think what you want to think, you have that right. I just want to let you know that I be one of the first to enlist, if the DREAM act becomes a law. You may not believe me, yet I truly don't care what tou think.

God Bless You and God Bless America

well. the army has its tricks. for one they could "speed up" becoming citizen. or w/e else it is they do.

and army isnt some noble thing for patriots. it's mostly for poor poeople and [edit]i was wrong it's not for school dropouts...yet[/edit] who either need school money, or who want to shoot things. of course there are patriots who think they're defending freedom. but it's not all patriots.

Last edited by a moderator:
skoolus said:
well. the army has its tricks. for one they could "speed up" becoming citizen. or w/e else it is they do.

and army isnt some noble thing for patriots. it's mostly for poor poeople and school dropouts who either need school money, or who want to shoot things. of course there are patriots who think they're defending freedom. but it's not all patriots.

You are an idiot. How can you say the military is not a noble thing to do?

Army education requirements:
http://www.us-army-info.com/pages/pdfs/enlistment_standards.pdf

3. Education
a. Possession of a high school diploma is desirable,
although not mandatory, for enlistment in any component of the
Military Services. Section 520 of reference (a) states, "A person
who is not a high school graduate may not be accepted for
enlistment in the armed forces unless the score of that person on
the Armed Forces Qualification Test is at or above the thirtyfirst
percentile; however, a person may not be denied enlistment
in the Armed Forces solely because of his not having a high school
diploma if his enlistment is needed to meet established strength
requirements." Alternative credential holders (i.e., General
Education Development Certificates and certificates of attendance
and completion) and nongraduates may be assigned lower enlistment
priority based on their first-term attrition rates.

Air Force education requirements:

Question
Can I enlist with a GED?

Answer
The answer is yes. However, there are many factors enlisting with a GED as opposed to enlisting with a traditional High School diploma.
These are:
- You must obtain a higher qualifying score on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude
Battery (ASVAB).
- Under normal circumstances, 1% of our enlisted force accessions are GED holders during a
1-year period.
- GED applicants must wait on slots to become available, and this can sometimes mean
waiting periods of up to one year.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.

In other words, unless you are a high school graduate your chances of getting into the military are very low. A dropout's chances are very low and I can tell your from personal experience that getting into the Air Force without a HS diploma is very difficult.

So before you make more stupid statements about the US military you need to read up on it some more.

ok i take back the part about dropouts. i have a feeling that might change soon anyway.

but the rest is my personal opinion. u dont necessarily have to be a patriot to be in the army. that was the point. if u think the millitary is noble good for you.

this is an opinion argument. so i'll stand by mine and wont argue with yours.

and i think u're an idiot as well. and ignorant one. but i dont think u see yourself as one. so dont insult people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel both of you TheChosenJuan and Skoolus, have valid points. Many people join the military for noble reasons. Any one remember Pat Tillman? He was an NFL player who gave up millions of dollars and fame, to join the military after 9/11, and made the ultimate sacrife for this great country. He is a patroit, he is an American Hero. As well as Cadets who join Military Academies some have deep roots in the military, and join for honor, courage, and to serve. However we can not deny the fact that some military recruiters sometimes offer great benefits a steady paycheck, travel oppurtunities, free college education, as ways to recruit people. Sometimes the "serve your country" slogan is not enough to fill in the ranks. Many students who finished high school, may not have enough money for college and have to sign up. Eventought they are all serving our country and are patroits, they might of had some other reasons to enlist, and I think this is what Skoolus was getting at.
I did not want to start a debate here, I just wanted to answer someone's statement. If the Dream Act passes and you already have two years of college, the only thing you have to do is stay out of legal trouble. I have 4 years already yet I'm still going to enlist to the Marines, because I love this country. With my degree I could get pay alot more money than in the Marines yet I'm still going to enlist. There is a good chance they are going to send me to Iraq, that is probably the only travel chance that I'am going to get, yet I'm willing to go and fight. Because I love America. I'am not asking for a handout, and asking for the chance that despite my status I love America, and willing to fight for everyone's behalf.

thank you
God Bless you and God Bless America.

I know that I found that out after I tried to enlist after 9/11. That's why I hope the Dream Act passes, and I be able to enlist after that.

TheChosenJuan said:
You are an idiot. How can you say the military is not a noble thing to do?

Army education requirements:
http://www.us-army-info.com/pages/pdfs/enlistment_standards.pdf

3. Education
a. Possession of a high school diploma is desirable,
although not mandatory, for enlistment in any component of the
Military Services. Section 520 of reference (a) states, "A person
who is not a high school graduate may not be accepted for
enlistment in the armed forces unless the score of that person on
the Armed Forces Qualification Test is at or above the thirtyfirst
percentile; however, a person may not be denied enlistment
in the Armed Forces solely because of his not having a high school
diploma if his enlistment is needed to meet established strength
requirements." Alternative credential holders (i.e., General
Education Development Certificates and certificates of attendance
and completion) and nongraduates may be assigned lower enlistment
priority based on their first-term attrition rates.

Air Force education requirements:

Question
Can I enlist with a GED?

Answer
The answer is yes. However, there are many factors enlisting with a GED as opposed to enlisting with a traditional High School diploma.
These are:
- You must obtain a higher qualifying score on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude
Battery (ASVAB).
- Under normal circumstances, 1% of our enlisted force accessions are GED holders during a
1-year period.
- GED applicants must wait on slots to become available, and this can sometimes mean
waiting periods of up to one year.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.

In other words, unless you are a high school graduate your chances of getting into the military are very low. A dropout's chances are very low and I can tell your from personal experience that getting into the Air Force without a HS diploma is very difficult.

So before you make more stupid statements about the US military you need to read up on it some more.

Im pretty sure I can say on behalf of people that have gone to school in other countries that public highschool in america is a joke. It is so easy its not even funny. If you can join with your halfassed education then yes, the requirements are low. I have seen grunts join the marines with ASVAB scores of 10%, specially now when the recruiters have to meet quotas and the morale is not so high as after 9/11

Not to mention that you have to go to war for reasons not explained, told when to die without a why. Sorry joining the military right now is not fighting for freedom or "noble". There hasn't been a war worth dying for since WW2.

And the majority of the people that I have seen joining couldn't really do well in school or had no motivation and needed someone to tell them what to do. Of course there is the occassional person trying to make a difference and "fight for freedom", but the large majority is not.

Alejo not to argue with you just a correction: grunts is the nickname given to soldiers in the Army. Jarheads or leathernecks are given to Marines. you got them reverse :)

I wonder how well recruitment will be if President Bush goes to war against Iran? I wonder if they would bring back the draft? Maybe I can get into the military that way? I signed up for the Selective Service when I was 18.