hi there!

esr_mba

i came to usa after marriage as a dependent and now ive changed mine to h1.my brother is interested in studying here in usa. can i apply for a college for him and send the i20 ? wat do i need to do if i want him to be admitted in a college thats nearby our place(in or state atleast) so that he can live with me? pls help me in this matter. my bro is getting ready for gre, toefel. is there any thing i can do for him?

you cannot sponsor your brother. your brother must apply for an F-1 visa himself. To do this he must apply first to a school and get accepted. Then the school will issue him an I-20 which he takes to the consulate where he will be issued a F-1 visa.

While applying for F-1 visa...if he doesn't get funding...they'll ask for financial statement to show how is going to pay the fees and pay for his expenses. You can then submit your financial statement as support and pledge that you'll pay for the fees etc.

But, I dunno how the visa officer will look at that. When we applied for F-1, people were scared to mention that they even had a sibling in the US, lest it made they seem like thye had immigrant intentions.