• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

help

garbage

Registered Users (C)
i am a 2006 dv winner and i already got stamped and preparing for the USA. But i have some questions that is really confusing me.

i. what is difference between US Citizen and Lawful Permanent Resident(LPR)?
ii. Can LPR be a US Citizen? How?
iii. I am from Nepal. My current status is single, however if i go to US as single and stay there for a year or two and then get married coming back to Nepal, can i help her to get into the US as well?

Any one please help me. or suggest any other alternative for iii.

Thank you in advance.

-garbage

1) Citizen / LPR :
LPR do not have the same rights. Being a LPR, you cannot vote for major elections. You're supposed to be able to vote for local elections.
As a LPR, you can work for almost any jobs (see later), have as many jobs you can. You can also leave your employer. You no longer need a sponsor.
Usually, jobs for the government are only for US citizens.

LPR status is a priviledge : you have to comply with US laws, or you could be deported.

I hope I did not forget to mention something else. But see USCIS website:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/citizenship/welcomeguide/index.htm

2) A LPR can become a Citizen: the process is known as Naturalization. ( see experiences under the appropriate section of this website)
After you become a citizen, you have the same rights as a " US born" Citizen except that you can not become President .
A general rule is that you can apply for citizenship 4years and 9 months after you were granted your GC ( this period varies if for example you go back to your home country with a reentry permit ( <2years))

3) First, if you go back to your home country, pay attention to the length of your stay ( so that you do not loose your GC, i.e. LPR status).
If you wish to maintain LPR status, you have to maintain permanent residency in the US .
You say you'd like to go back to Nepal for one or two years : you would NEED a re-entry permit. But it does not even guarantee that you wuld be admitted back, depending on your ability to show ties to the US. ( see the posts about that for more detailed info)

Now, as a LPR if you marry someone not legally in the US, it takes approx. 5years for you to sponsor your spouse so that he/she can come to the US.
If you were a citizen, this period is 3 years ( but it takes 5 years to become a citizen...).
I you had married your girlfreind before getting your immigrant visa, she would have been able to get also a visa. ( see the posts on this, including my own experience : Paris, France ) But, now it is too late for this option.

Another possibility would be to try to get a nonimmigrant visa for her ( a student visa for example ).
However, this is illegal : to get a nonimmigrant visa, you have to prove that you do not have immigrant intent ( which would not be the case).