Help! What are truly certified copies of records

rbanda

Registered Users (C)
My domestic violence case, which resulted in arrest, was dismissed and expunged. I'm planning on saying 'yes' to the questions 'have you been arrested' and 'have you been charged with a crime' (correct me if I'm wrong).
But, I read in the portal that I need to take the expungement orders at the time of interview. I'm planning on sending copies of expungement orders in the postal mail or should I send originals in the mail? But, even the originals look like copies. but, what exactly are true certified copies?? how do they look like? Copies of expungement orders are sufficient or not? I don't have anything else. What else should I send in postal mail? What documents should I anticipate to take with me at the time of interview?
Even if they ask for anything else, how do I get those other records since they are expunged?
Please help!!!!:(
Thanks a lot!

1st am not even sure if it is required to send the supporting docs along with application. If you do decide to send, mail only copies. Keep the original with you for the iview.
I am guessing that true certified copy means getting it notarized. But it is not needed and you get a chance to show what you have at the iview.

But, even the originals look like copies. but, what exactly are true certified copies?? how do they look like? Copies of expungement orders are sufficient or not? I don't have anything else. What else should I send in postal mail? What documents should I anticipate to take with me at the time of interview?
Even if they ask for anything else, how do I get those other records since they are expunged?
Thanks a lot!
If you got arrested, the police station keeps a logbook of the daily events including arrests. Older logs are probably archived in a storage room but they should be able to get to their records.

I do not think that the USCIS requires you to bring with you the original logbook that belongs to the police station. The police officers should know what is meant by certified copy since you would not be the first person to request a copy of such a record. "Certified copy" may mean that the officer includes a statement such as "This is a copy certified conform to the original. Made by Officer so_and_so, Notary Public in the State of xxx. Dated and signed" with date, signature and raised Notary Public seal.

Same for court orders.

It is then better for you to request each time two certified copies, one to submit with the application, the other to bring along to the interview in case the copy you submitted got lost.

My domestic violence case, which resulted in arrest, was dismissed and expunged. I'm planning on saying 'yes' to the questions 'have you been arrested' and 'have you been charged with a crime' (correct me if I'm wrong).
But, I read in the portal that I need to take the expungement orders at the time of interview. I'm planning on sending copies of expungement orders in the postal mail or should I send originals in the mail? But, even the originals look like copies. but, what exactly are true certified copies?? how do they look like? Copies of expungement orders are sufficient or not? I don't have anything else. What else should I send in postal mail? What documents should I anticipate to take with me at the time of interview?
Thanks a lot!

I agree that you should mail the copies and save the originals for the interview. Secondly, you must answer yes to the arrest questions. Thirdly, certified means the raised seal from the court must be on the disposition or expungement. If there is no longer a record, meaning the case was dropped, dismissed, or expunged and the court tells you it no longer exists, insist that they give you something in writing (with their seal on it) that states that. That way you are covered and will be able to show that you have done everything possible to comply.

Thanks a lot!

You can get a court to certified copy which will work as "true certified copies "
Most notary public and banks can certify copies as "true certified copies".
They just put a stamp on it saying this is a true copy of the original.