Help To Asylees

Gilbert

Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. (CLINIC) has launched a new national, multilingual Asylee Information and Referral Line, funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services\' Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) through CLINIC\'s National Consortia Projects Division. The referral line, intended for asylees only, links them with local refugee service providers and benefits. The number is: 1-800-354-0365, and the line is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST. The following languages are available: English, Mandarin Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, Albanian, and Amharic. Catholic Charities Community Services, which staffs the line, is able to provide information to asylees in 11 additional languages: Haitian Creole, Polish, Macedonian, Serbo-Croatian, Arabic, Turkish, Bosnian, Italian, Hindi, Urdu, and Punjabi. The ORR is working with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization (INS) and the immigration courts in an effort to include the toll-free number for the line in asylum grant letters. INS detention centers have also agreed to provide the number to detainees who are granted asylum. Service providers with questions about policy or eligibility should see the ORR website, http://www.acf.dhhs.gov/orr, or contact their state refugee coordinator.

No Title

I think we will be seeing more programs like this in the future since Bush Administration wants to give Federal grants to faith based charity programs.
  Most programs require the asylee apply for assistance within 5 years from the date they are granted asylum.
  In my humble opinion I think more Refugees apply for such assistance programs compared to Asylees. Most of us (asylees) try to be self-reliant after we got our EAD.
  Anyhow... it\'s nice to see the NGOs are doing more to help the asylees.