Help Please

rtrt2009

My husband and I became citizens in Sep 2008 (v had the interview just 10 days after my son was born after a complicated pregnancy) . we applied for passport Nov 08 and received them Dec first week but never got the naturalization documents back; Icontacted Passport services and they opened an inquiry. No updates yet. Some one has to get to it. I am tired of waiting and and not hearing anything form them. Can I go ahead and file N 565. It will be TSC for me. I never took a copy of the Naturalization doc since it says 'it is unlawful to make copies of it';

If I send N565 with copies of these docs (I have approved N400, passport book, drivers license and SSN card that was provided whan I came on H1B) and passport pictures without a copy of the naturalization doc is that sufficient?

Also I have a job background check and they need birth cert or naturalisation papers. If I show my signed us passport is that enough ?

What are the implications of not having the naturalization doc with you ?

Please advise.
Thanks

I don't think you need to send any documents with the N-565, just fill in all the information it asks for and explain what happened to the original.

I'd imagine that your employer will accept a passport as evidence of citizenship.

My husband and I became citizens in Sep 2008 (v had the interview just 10 days after my son was born after a complicated pregnancy) . we applied for passport Nov 08 and received them Dec first week but never got the naturalization documents back; Icontacted Passport services and they opened an inquiry. No updates yet. Some one has to get to it. I am tired of waiting and and not hearing anything form them. Can I go ahead and file N 565. It will be TSC for me. I never took a copy of the Naturalization doc since it says 'it is unlawful to make copies of it';

If I send N565 with copies of these docs (I have approved N400, passport book, drivers license and SSN card that was provided whan I came on H1B) and passport pictures without a copy of the naturalization doc is that sufficient?

Also I have a job background check and they need birth cert or naturalisation papers. If I show my signed us passport is that enough ?

What are the implications of not having the naturalization doc with you ?

Please advise.
Thanks

I think at this point you might as well file N-565: if the State Department has not found your nat. certificate thus far, it seems likely that they lost it for good.

Sorry, but it was really stupid of you not to make a copy of the naturalization certificate before submitting the passport application. You fell victim to a common myth. It is only illegal to make copies of the N.C. without lawful authority. As the person to whom the certificate was issued, you DO have such authority. I hope that, at least, you wrote down the naturalization certificate's number and date of issue.

Regarding employment eligibility: for the form I-9 a U.S. passport is an acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship (while the naturalization certificate is not).

slightly disagree with baikal3, my spouse use Nat certificate at the employer to fill I-9 form no problem at all. whereas I used Passport again no issue. So I think either passport or Nat certificate good enough for I-9

slightly disagree with baikal3, my spouse use Nat certificate at the employer to fill I-9 form no problem at all. whereas I used Passport again no issue. So I think either passport or Nat certificate good enough for I-9

Nat certificate is no longer an acceptable document to prove citizenship for the purpose of filing I-9. You can read the instructions for I-9 here:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Page 5 lists acceptable documents.

Nat certificate is no longer an acceptable document to prove citizenship for the purpose of filing I-9. You can read the instructions for I-9 here:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Page 5 lists acceptable documents.

Exactly. Under the previous edition of I-9, a naturalization certificate was an acceptable "List A" document. But as of the 08/07/09 edition of I-9, a naturalization certificate has been removed from the list of acceptable documents, while a U.S. passport does remain on that list.