• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Help please!AUSSIES! Q about need for passport/what happens if you're selected by DV LOTTERY

america101

Registered Users (C)
Hi, i'm entered in the Green Card Lottery and as you all probably know it's drawn in a week from now. My question is to people who know, what happens if you log into the DV Lottery site and see you have been selected? What is the next step in the process?

I've never had a passport before and i'm having my passport interview on Friday and I'm wondering if I should get Priority Processing so that my passport comes quicker. But the problem is it costs a $100 (!!!) to get Priority Processing. So i'm just wondering, DO I ACTUALLY NEED MY PASSPORT STRAIGHT AWAY IF IM SELECTED?

What is the process after you see you have been selected? Do you need to send documents somewhere or something? And what documents do you need? Do I need this passport quickly or does it not matter?

Because if I do need to send passport/passport details if im selected, I would obviously want to send as soon as possible after May 1st so that I can get a high case number.

Thanks so much for any help

You wont need it straight away.

First step is to download the forms and send them to the USA.

Sending your forms in early doesn't change your case number. Your case number is issued when you are selected

No need to stress and spend the extra money. The whole process is a lengthy one - interviews don't begin until October, so you have plenty of time to have your passport organised without spending the extra money.

And remember, chances of being selected are only around 5%, so be realistic and don't be too disappointed if you're not selected. I'm a prime example - I've been entering for 15 years and still haven't won.

Lucky for us Aussies, there are other visas available that are easy to get and allow us to live and work there.

Having said that, good luck! I do hope you and I are both successful!

Hey America101...

Hi, i'm entered in the Green Card Lottery and as you all probably know it's drawn in a week from now. My question is to people who know, what happens if you log into the DV Lottery site and see you have been selected? What is the next step in the process?

Because if I do need to send passport/passport details if im selected, I would obviously want to send as soon as possible after May 1st so that I can get a high case number.

Thanks so much for any help

Mate, if you're selected, you want a LOW case number!!!!:cool:

Whoa! Slow down, mate! If you're selected, there will be instructions for you online.

A word of advice: take your time to read everything a few times, ask questions here if something's not clear, and proceed carefully. We get a lot of questions on this forum from people who realised that they made a mistake on their forms and then panicked about it. There's no screaming rush to get your forms in. We only mailed ours off in July.

If selected, you'll get a case number beginning with OC2014 and ending in some numbers. Those last numbers determine your interview date. Even if your case number is OC201400000001 - first in line - your interview wouldn't be until October so take your time to fill everything in correctly and gather up your documents. If your case number was higher, i.e., 1200, sending your forms in within hours of being selected, isn't going to move your interview date up.

And no rush to have a passport now either. I wouldn't choose priority processing because they're pretty efficient and fast. I got my last new Aussie passport in 4 days, regular processing. Same for others I know. In my experience, the Oz government is very efficient and they get things done quickly, especially compared to here in Canada, which is unbelievably slow at everything.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: