Help on Sending Packet 3

dineshgk

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I am asking you guys all these question because it seems my Company Attorney is very very busy these days and he cannot answer any of my questions. Well, I had always found him busy whenever the time comes to submit my application on each stage.....

Anyway my questions are as follows:-

1. Now the Department of State has a fee of $335 to be paid per person. If I am applying for me and my wife then should I send one single Cashier's Check of Amount $670 or two seperate of $335 each.

2. My wife's passport was issued before our marriage and so do we need to have the passport updated with status as married on it ?

3. In DS 230 Part I there is a section 11 where you need to specify where the Green card sould be mailed and my Attorney has taken atleast sweet time to fill his name and address there. Does this matters to me ?

4. How will I be able to track whether the Packet 3 has actually been mailed and accepted at St. Louis and hence forward.

All Guru's out there, please Advice me as I am very mush frustrated with my Attorney's behaviour.

Thanks,

Dineshg,

I have not gone through the process of P3 yet. Eagerly waiting for the packet to arrive.

* When in doubt send two checks (my philosopy). It does not hurt other than maybe few bucks as check issue fee.

* Attach marriage certificate for wife. Has she changed names?

* I believe you can download and fill a different DS-230 I. Wait for answers from other experience CPer's.

1. believe should sent two checks, with SSN on it for each

2. don't know, but in the same boat, please comment

3. You can argue with your lawyer to change - before you sign the form - or you could ask the embassy (after they received your packet 3) to change the mailing address of packet 4 to your place

4. You can checked the status of the cashier's check - if it's cashed and when. Once it goes back to NVC, should be easy to find out the status by talking with their operators...

Originally posted by dineshgk
Hello All,

I am asking you guys all these question because it seems my Company Attorney is very very busy these days and he cannot answer any of my questions. Well, I had always found him busy whenever the time comes to submit my application on each stage.....

Anyway my questions are as follows:-

1. Now the Department of State has a fee of $335 to be paid per person. If I am applying for me and my wife then should I send one single Cashier's Check of Amount $670 or two seperate of $335 each.

2. My wife's passport was issued before our marriage and so do we need to have the passport updated with status as married on it ?

3. In DS 230 Part I there is a section 11 where you need to specify where the Green card sould be mailed and my Attorney has taken atleast sweet time to fill his name and address there. Does this matters to me ?

4. How will I be able to track whether the Packet 3 has actually been mailed and accepted at St. Louis and hence forward.

All Guru's out there, please Advice me as I am very mush frustrated with my Attorney's behaviour.

Thanks,

DineshGK,
1. You should send only one cheque for 670. Infact I did that. What is mentioned in bar coded page? is it 335 or 670?. Be sure that your bar coded page and cheque bear same amount. This happens when your wife is not included in I-140 application. If not better call NVC and get her included and ask them to fax new bar coded page. They may ask you to send your marraige certificate.

2. You don't need to do that. My wife passport still says that she is not married.

3. Better mention your address there. I wonder why attoney should receive your green card.

4. Get certified cashier's cheque instead of money order. After posting your P3 keep calling issuer bank whether cheque has been paid. I did the same way..

Last edited by a moderator:
name on passport

-- I sent a single check for the total amount stated on the bar-coded P3 page. No problems there.

-- Changing my wife's name on her passport was a very simple matter - it took us exactly 1 week turnaround at the Chicago Consulate including mailing time (courier). It's not that critical in the CP process, but why not do it if you have the time?

-- Is your employer paying your attorney fees? In that case, he'll like the gc mailed to him directly as he can quickly claim the balance of his fees (just a guess). But this shouldn't be a prob. After the consular post in India receives your papers from NVC, you may make an email request for the interview appointment papers to be sent to your local addr in India. I got my apptmnt letter at my local Mumbai addr just 3 days after they mailed it out. Folks who gave their US addr typically wait 3 to 4 weeks till their papers arrive. Thats not a prob since the dates are published on the consulate website on 15th of the previous month anyways.

-- ditto saradao #4

The Bar Coded pade that NVC sent alongwith Packet three has $335 amount on it and it only has my name on it. It does not include my wifes name.

But the application clerarly says that $335 is to be paid for each applicatant and each applicant needs to make a copy of DS 230 Part I and submit is seperately.

Still do you think I should contact NVC to have them mention my wifes name on the bar coded page or is it ok... Please Reply.

Thanks

The Bar Coded pade that NVC sent alongwith Packet three has $335 amount on it and it only has my name on it. It does not include my wifes name.

But the application clerarly says that $335 is to be paid for each applicatant and each applicant needs to make a copy of DS 230 Part I and submit is seperately.

Still do you think I should contact NVC to have them mention my wifes name on the bar coded page or is it ok... Please Reply.

Thanks

I believe you should do that. Try calling NVC and check with them before you post P3. You can find good number of similar cases which took significant time in communicating with NVC after posting P3, in this forum. To my guess St.leuis will have no clue about your case if cheque amount and bar code amount are not matching. They may simply return your P3 back. Look for a comment of a case in cptracker also. This suggestion is to be on safer side. This should't be a problem at all if you contact NVC before you post P3. Good luck..

dineshgk, don't wait, do it immediately

Hello Dieshgk,

saradao is 100% correct. Iam a victim of this 'confusion', and the whole CP PROCESS got delayed atleast 3months & counting...

It doesn't matter, what the 'application info says', If your barcode doesn't reflect you & your wives FEES, CALL NVC immediately and include her to your case.

I guess they will ask you to FAX YOUR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE, not sure what else. After this, I guess you will receive a new BARCODE with the right-fess.

Bottomline, Call NVC immediately ....

Thanks,
LocalMadras

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: dineshgk, don't wait, do it immediately

Originally posted by localmadras
Hello Dieshgk,

saradao is 100% correct. Iam a victim of this 'confusion', and the whole CP PROCESS got delayed atleast 3months & counting...

It doesn't matter, what the 'application info says', If your barcode doesn't reflect you & your wifes FEES, CALL NVC immediately and include her to your case.

I guess they will ask you to FAX YOUR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE, not sure what else. After this, I guess you will receive a new BARCODE with the right-fess.

Bottomline, Call NVC immediately ....

Thanks,
LocalMadras

Local madras,
Where is your case now?

Called NVC today

Hello Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I called NVC today and she told me to fax a copy of the marriage certificate, Wife's Birth Certificate which was in Hindi and so also English Translation.

I am not sure if they would accpet a fax from me or would they want my Attorney to do this. Anyway we shall see. I will fillow-up after a couple of days.

My attorney even does not know about the CP process. God thanks to all of you.

Thanks

Re: Called NVC today

Hello Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I called NVC today and she told me to fax a copy of the marriage certificate, Wife's Birth Certificate which was in Hindi and so also English Translation.

I am not sure if they would accpet a fax from me or would they want my Attorney to do this. Anyway we shall see. I will fillow-up after a couple of days.

My attorney even does not know about the CP process. God thanks to all of you.

Thanks

They don't care... go ahead and fax to NVC. Make sure your attoney name and your case number appeares in fax cover letter. Don't waite for your attorney...

Is there a way to remove the Attorney from my case. Well this would be good only if we can manage our case from here onwards.

But is it possible ??

Hello,

I called NVC today and they said that they received my Fax and my file has been updated with my wife's information and I should be receiving a new packet probably in 3 to 4 weeks.

Thanks.

Hello,

I called NVC today and they said that they received my Fax and my file has been updated with my wife's information and I should be receiving a new packet probably in 3 to 4 weeks.

Thanks.

Good. Forum does work.... You can discontinue your attorney. But I guess, you don't need to do so as you may not require him any more if things go evenly without major hiccops. Anyway changing your attorney involves in getting letter from your employer and there are many cases NVC continued to send all your communication to previous attorney even though a change letter is sent. Bottom line, better not..