Help needed on H-1B

Hi,

I have got my residency this year and my H-1 papers are filed on March 20th. My residency starts on July 1st. Do you think I have enough time for my H-1 papers to come through? Any input is appreciated. Also how is the consulate in Toronto for stamping H-1 visas?

No Title

you should get it in time as the time taken is usually 3 months this year. If you are planning to visit india next year then it is better to go to an indian consulate for stamping as you\'ll get a multiple entry and this year they are stamping h-1s without any problem
bye
raj

No Title

Hi Rajeswari,
Could you tell me if one should have completed STEP3 exam (in addition to ECFMG certification)to apply for H1. What exactly is the criteria for a foreign medical graduate to qualify for H1 visa. I need this info for my wife who completed her ECFMG and trying for residency. I appreciate your reply

No Title

Though my name is not Rajeshwari, I will try to provide you the info.;)
Yes, Having cleared step 3 is very essential to get H1 visa.
You need ECFMG certification and a state medical licensure (which is usually a temporary medical license from the state and can take 4 to 6 weeks depending on which state you do your residency in).
In some states like NY, you do not need a state license to apply for H1 so it is state-specific.
You will need a letter of employment from the hospital stating how long you will work there, what you will do and what your salary will be. This is pretty straight fwd and most hospitals will have standard formats for the same.
I recommend you find an immigration lawyer to file the H1 because laws and forms change all the time and you don\'t want to make mistakes or miss out any info or less your application can get stuck with the INS for a while.
My wife is going through the same procedure and you can expect the whole process to be quite stressful. It helps to get a head start.
Hope this helps and good luck with H1 and residency.
Cheers
MJ1

No Title

Hello, Rajeshwari:

I am trying to understand why the Step 3 is needed for the H-1B. Because you don\'t need step 3 to obtain a training license (or temp license, however you want to call it). And in the H visa application form (I-129), you are only required to show adequate education credential (in this case, ECFMG certificate) and official permit to start your employment (in this case, training license), nowhere does it mention step 3, so where the step 3 comres into play?

I have not yet took step 3 and are applying for a H-1B, therefore I would appreciate greatly if you can help me go through this, thanks!

Chris

No Title

MJ1,

Do you need LCA for applying for H1? Please let me know if this is a possibilty. My wife took Step 3 a week back. So can she apply for H1 without Step 3 scores and later append them when they ask for it?

Thank inadvance

No Title

GChopes,
To answer your questions, yes, you need LCA for applying for H1.
Also you can apply for H1 without step 3 scores and later send them when you get an RFE (request for evidence).
Here is a question for you.
Is your hospital ready to give papers for H1?
How about the processing fees? I am told that H1 processing fees have to be provided by the employer. How true is that? And do you know any lawyer who will do if I pay for the processing? If you do, please send me a private message by clicking on my name.
Thanks
MJ1

No Title

one lawyer said he will have privilege to write a cheque to ins in place of employer. the employer may even at a later date send the lawyer a cheque. so initially u pay and lawyer will write the cheque then once employer sends a cheque to him the amount can be adjusted.