Help me please

keagles

I was granted asylun at year 2000 and I was single at that time. I am going to marry my girl friend who is still in my home country. We plan to get married on a 3rd country. My question is: after we get married, can she get some kind of visa to US based on my asylum status? If answer is yes, how do I do it. Thank you!!:confused:

I am sorry

I am sorry to say that because the marriage will have occured after your asylum grant, she will not be eligible to join you.

It takes a number of years for even green card holders to bring their spouses to the U.S.

Is there any way your fiancee can come to the U.S. on a tourist or student visa before the wedding? After the marriage here, she can file an asylum application on the basis of her new relationship to you.

While there is no assurances of the outcome, experience shows that this strategy has been sucessful a number of times.

I very much empathize with your situation and wish both of you a blissful future together.

Thank you Gilbert

Actually, that was what i thought too. Just want confirm with you guys. Yeah, it's so sad that i have been seperared from her over 3 years. If she can come to meet me who cares the green card. I think I will try work hard geting her other type of visa. My question is: will it be harder for her to get a student visa if INS knows her husband is in US?

keagles,

Consular officers are very reluctant to issue NIVs to persons with close family members in the United States on the theory that they have strong incentives to overstay their visas. As a result, many immigrant families endure the pain of long-term separation. This is why I suggested that your fiancee apply for a visa BEFORE marriage to enhance her chances of approval.

If this strategy does not pan out, you might want to explore immigration options through employment--AFTER marriage in order to confer derivative benefits.

Keagles

I have no idea about your case, but the only thing that I want to say is that I wish you THE BEST.

Good Luck for you and your fiancee, I'll include you in my prayers.