HELP! J1 to H1B

hopefulH1B

Registered Users (C)
Hello, can anyone help with the following advice?
I am in the US on a J1 visa which expires March 2007. My training is finished and my employer wishes to employ me for as long as possible - I am guessing I am presuming this is an H1B visa. I have heard that the 2007 quota is already full, can anyone tell me which months the year 2007 runs from until. Also, if my employer applies for an H1B for me now and my J1 visa doesn't expire until March 2007 - do I jeopordise my current J1 visa? Also, supposing I was successful with the H1B and my J1 expired in March next year and I had to wait for 2008 quota, would I be able to apply for a change of status to cover me until the H1 visa became available? I am NOT subject to the 2 year HRR. I was thinking about applying for permanent residency but I believe this would take even longer than H1B - is that correct?? I can't believe that the immigration service would ask us to leave the country for the time between J1 and H1, this seems to be a crazy and doesn't work in the favor of the US employer who has to implement this! My wife's employer would like to apply for her under EB3 category through the PERM system but as a "skilled worker" I believe there would be a wait for 5 years?? By the way we are both from the UK.

According to me you dont have an option. If you have done Masters or a higher degree in US, then you still have a chance, else sorry.

The next qouta would start in April 2007 for Oct 2007. So if your employer files it in April 2007 you would have to leave the country in March 2007 and come back in October 2007 on H1b (assuming it gets approved)

One way out is that you can come back on B1 (business visit) but take a legal advice for that.