Help! J1-h1b Help Needed

hopefulH1B

Registered Users (C)
Hello, can anyone help? I am currently on J1 (expires Feb 2007) British Citizen, I am currently working as part of my J1 and my employer wishes to apply for an H1B for me in the next couple of weeks. Can I actually apply now or do I have to wait until a particular time? I am anxious about having to leave the US while my H1B application is pending. Am I right in thinking I can apply for April 2007 and begin work in October 2007? I am one of only two employees - I have worked for my employer since February 2006 so at the time of my J1 expiry I would have been employed there for 1 year - is my employer really expected to have me stop working in February and start working for him again in October?? this seems a little crazy - also, am I right in belieiving I can do not have to leave the states during this time?

My second question is that my wife is working on her J2 - her employer is currently working on her permanent residency through PERM - is it acceptable for her to apply with me as her spouse or does this jeapordise my H1 application or vice versa?

Thanks!