Help!Didn't mention Traffic Ticket in N400

cilla

I submited my N400 in Sept., 2003, and got fingerprinted at the end of Oct., 2003. I didn't mention that I got a traffic ticket (speeding) in year 2000, and answered "NO" to question16. I didn't do it because I didn't realize that I should, until I discovered this forum and read some of the posts.

Please help me! I am really scared now. What can I do now to make up for my mistake? Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by cilla
I submited my N400 in Sept., 2003, and got fingerprinted at the end of Oct., 2003. I didn't mention that I got a traffic ticket (speeding) in year 2000, and answered "NO" to question16. I didn't do it because I didn't realize that I should, until I discovered this forum and read some of the posts.

Please help me! I am really scared now. What can I do now to make up for my mistake? Thanks a lot!

During GC process I submitted wrong fee to INS center and followed it up with an express mail letter explaining things and sent a fresh check. INS did return my old check and cashed the new and everything went OK.

So probably you can write to INS (giving your a#) and mentioning that you mistakenly did not mention it due to oversight. They should take it in lighter vien and say OK.

But if you lie or intend to lie then you are in trouble. INS is not that bad an agency to crucify people for small mistakes. Good luck and be sure to post your experience here so others also can benefit. This is my 2 cents.

Thank you! I really appreciated your help. I will send a mail to USCIS with the documents I have regarding the ticket, and explain my situation to them. Thank god that I keep the ticket I received, as well as the certificate from traffic school. Those would be enough for evidence, right?

You can aslo make corrections at the time of interview. The officer will go thorugh your application and will ask you any corrections/changes to make. I am sure they will accept it at that time. This is an innocent mistake. Basically Its up to you at this time. How ever keep all the copies of ticket(s) & payment reciepts. You will be fine.

Thank you very much about your information! I am concerned that they would have found out the ticket record before scheduling an interview for me....I will think carefully about it, and will follow up with you guys with what happens later.

Originally posted by cilla
Thank you very much about your information! I am concerned that they would have found out the ticket record before scheduling an interview for me....I will think carefully about it, and will follow up with you guys with what happens later.

Remember one thing. We are all human. It is an honest mistake and you are trying to make matters straight. Unless involved with DUI and other bad driving habits, usual traffic tickets do not even count. If you try to lie then you are in BIG trouble.

Ever observed this? If you say sorry to anyone, the matter is immediately closed and they won't try to drag it forever but it is important to be truly sorry - that has to reflect in your tone. Of course a reckless sorry never gets you anywhere.

INS is not a solid wall. They are made of people like you and me. One day you can ever work for INS after you become a citizen, who knows? The INS boss himself is an immigrant.

Do not fear. That is all I can say. But be frank from step zero.

WouldBeCitizen, thank you very much for your encouragement! I feel much better now. Will definitely correct my mistake. :)