Help - after Oath and getting US passport

goodguy09

Registered Users (C)
My citizen interview was over last week and my oath. ceremony is on Nov. A question : I understand they take away your Green Card during the Oath ceremony. And you can apply for your passport only after the Oath ceremony? So, how long does it take the US Passport? I guess between the time I have my Oath ceremony (when they take away my GC) and I apply for your pasasort, I am without the GC and no US passport, is that correct? How do you travel anywhere at this time? ANy pointers appreciated.

Thanks,

You will have your Naturalization Cetificate with you as a proof of your Citizinship.
I have heard that it takes 2-3 weeks for your new US Passport. It is not advisable to travel with the Certificate but you can.

Good Luck!

You can get it in three working days using the expedited service, you pay $60.00 additional and about $27.00 for overnight mail. I just did the routine service for $85.00 takes aproximately 4-6 weeks, but you usually recieve it in about 3-4 weeks depending on time of the year. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
amishah said:
You will have your Naturalization Cetificate with you as a proof of your Citizinship.
I have heard that it takes 2-3 weeks for your new US Passport. It is not advisable to travel with the Certificate but you can.

You can only travel to Canada and Mexico with your Naturalization Cetificate. The best thing is that you should apply for passport using the expedited service.

Soul_fh said:
You can get it in three working days using the expedited service, you pay $60.00 additional and about $27.00 for overnight mail. I just did the routine service for $85.00 takes aproximately 4-6 weeks, but you usually recieve it in about 3-4 weeks depending on time of the year. Good Luck!
If there is a travel emergency you can get it the same day WITHOUT the additional fee. You need to have the tickets for travel as a proof.

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/about_contact_agencies.html

amishah said:
It is not advisable to travel with the Certificate but you can.

You always need a passport to travel outside the country. As far as I know, Certificate is of no use for travel purposes.

Philydude
If there is a travel emergency you can get it the same day WITHOUT the additional fee. You need to have the tickets for travel as a proof.

Inorder to get it the same day you have to make an appointment and be able to get to one of the 13 regional offices. I considered this service, and it was not benefitial if you are not close to those agencies. You can of course, fly or drive to the nearest one. Anything else by mail is minimum 3 working days.

I have heard that if you go to philadelphia passport office you can get the passport same day is that true?, does anybody know about it.

6776 said:
I have heard that if you go to philadelphia passport office you can get the passport same day is that true?, does anybody know about it.

Not without prior appointment and proof of emergency situation.

I applied for passport today after my oath ceremony at a local post office. You have to submit the original naturalization certificate along with the application. So, how can you travel without green card or naturalization certificate? I was told that the certificate will be returned along with the passport.

Why ask again?

You always need a passport to travel outside the country. As far as I know, Certificate is of no use for travel purposes.
. This question was just answered by phillydude and others.

You cannot travel without a passport period, except to Mexico and Canada, but make sure you have a DL and your ss# status is updated to establish US citizenship!

Fyi

Depending on your travel plans, the expedited service may not be the best option this time of the year. (slow season)

Applied for passport 10/14/04 routine service (no expedited, no overnight)
Application R'cvd 10/19/04
Passport completed and mailed 10/27/04 (One week, Amazing!)
Should Arrive any day now :)

Soul_fh said:
Depending on your travel plans, the expedited service may not be the best option this time of the year. (slow season)

Should Arrive any day now :)

I agree. I had applied for my daughter's passport via regular processing on the 9th (11th was a federal holiday). Got her passport along with mine on the 26th.

Passport R'cvd 10/30/04