H4 visa at consulate

comerhop

Registered Users (C)
To get an H4 Visa at Mumbai consulate for the spouse, does the prinicpal person has to have the H1 stamp on the passport or would a I 797 (approval notice) do ?

I have an old H1 stamped on my passport but yet to get the H1 extension stamp. I do have H1 extension approval - I797

H4 visa at Mumbai consulate

My wife applied last time through drop box - submitted 3 docs my h1 visa copy from passport, her passport, and my 1797 approval.
Got visa stamped in 1 week on passport - flew back with wife. My lawyer says it is not required to have a valid h1 visa in passport. Approval date on I797 should be valid. Please check with your lawyer.
:)

Maybe for renewal of H4 one does not need the stamp on the prinicipal's passport.

But i read on the website of US consulate in Mumbai that one of the documents they ask for is a valid visa stamp on principals passport.

Is it correct ??

Originally posted by comerhop
Maybe for renewal of H4 one does not need the stamp on the prinicipal's passport.
---- Well - I was going in for the first time with my wife - but I did have the H1 visa valid for the first time.

But i read on the website of US consulate in Mumbai that one of the documents they ask for is a valid visa stamp on principals passport.

Is it correct ??
----- That is correct. If you have a valid visa - thats great - if not - you should probably just give the copy of the most recent visa stamp and your I797. This is info from my lawyer. Your case may be different.

HI,
Has anybody applied for H4 for the first time from the mumbai consulate.PLease share your experiences and also the documents that are required.

Thanks.