H4 to F1......pls help...

digiden

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody

I dont know if this is the right place to for my question.

I am in USA on h4 visa. my h4 visa expires on Oct. 26th 2006. Couple of weeks back, I applied for F1. I received I-797c Notice of Action from USCIS. Can I stay in USA on this I-797c even if my h4 expires on Oct. 26th 2006? Because my f1 approval can take couple of monhts.

Thank / Regards

digiden said:
Hi everybody

I am in USA on h4 visa. my h4 visa expires on Oct. 26th 2006. Couple of weeks back, I applied for F1. I received I-797c Notice of Action from USCIS. Can I stay in USA on this I-797c even if my h4 expires on Oct. 26th 2006?
Yes, until decision is made for your change of status application.
What is the Notice Date on I-797?

Because my f1 approval can take couple of monhts.

Thank / Regards

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and this ain't legal advice, its just my opinion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

digiden said:
Hi everybody

I am in USA on h4 visa. my h4 visa expires on Oct. 26th 2006. Couple of weeks back, I applied for F1. I received I-797c Notice of Action from USCIS. Can I stay in USA on this I-797c even if my h4 expires on Oct. 26th 2006? Because my f1 approval can take couple of monhts.

Thank / Regards
Hello,

You can stay in the US till the final decision comes o your F-1 visa.

Re: H4 to F1

You can stay but in case your application is rejected, you have to leave the next day...or at least that's what my lawyer had advised. Because overstay even by 24 hours can lead to problems the next time you apply for a U.S. visa.

Good Luck!

how much time does it take to get the receipt notice?

i applied my Change Of Status (from H4 > F1) on Aug/30/2006 and i have not received even the receipt notice ?

I have send my papers through FedEx.

should i wait a little longer ?

i am studying in NJ.