H4 - H1 - H4 - H1

SunnyApril

Hi,

I need some help here. Any input will be appreciated.

I came to the US on H4 around 5 years ago. After 1.5 years, I got a H1 and later, got it transferred to another company. Thereafter, since February last year, I went back on H4. I found a new job and filed for a new H1. I opted for consular processing of H1 because I needed to travel when the H1 was filed. I came back to the US on H4 and now, I will need to go back to India to get my new H1 stamped. I have some questions here :

1. Even though I had two H1 approvals previously, I hadnt gotten them stamped as I had not travelled out of the country and had opted for a change of status. Recently, when I did travel, I got my H4 stamped (this is before my current H1 was filed). Now that I do need to get the H1 stamped, how difficult/easy can this be ? The new H1 has been approved (in January 2003)

2. Will I need to go for an interview or am I eligible for a drop box procedure ?

3. What documents should I carry with me to ensure the stamping goes through smoothly ?

4. I have been hearing many horror stories for a new H1 stamping recently and I am scared about the whole process. I will be getting it stamped at the Mumbai consulate. Any experiences (good or bad) will be very useful.

Thanks a ton for all the help.

- SunnyApril

Last edited by a moderator: