H4 -->ead

h1gc

Registered Users (C)
I'm on H4 visa. I recently got my EAD done. I applied for SSN. SSN office says( after 20 days of applying) that my status is still not changed by INS to 'immigrant'. Is this normal? Did any one faced similar issue?

Please share your expereince. Do I need to call INS?

thanks in advance

You are not an immigrant until you have your green card approved and you have your passport stamped. Receiving an EAD and SSN has no bearing on immigrant status.

Quite Normal

It takes ages these days for the SSA to verify that you indeed are allowed to be issued a SSN. I got my pp stamped on dec 6th and went to get the restricition lifted from my SS card (the one that says "Eligible for work with INS authorization" or some such thing) my info was not on the computer so they tooka copies of some pages of my pp and my original ss card and I got my card just last week, about 2 months later.

I have gone thru the same situation. Take my word just go to the SSA and fill up the application form for SSN and submit it. The SSA officer will take all the photo copies and will forward the information to INS and then wiat for 1-2 months atleast.

3 years ago when my wife got her SSN (H1), we had it in about a week. Last year, it took me over a month, because the SSA now has to send a letter to INS, verifying the information. That wasn't the case. It is probably another post 9/11 change.