H1B visa and B visa ---- please help with a few words/ suggestions :o)

Rasu

Registered Users (C)
Hi there...

I am a physician that wishes to come to the US for some research work (as a Research Assistant or Research Fellow). I would really appreciate it if you could kindly help clarify a few doubts.

1. Is the H1 quota still available for this year? (or do I have to wait till October for the new quota to start)

2. If the quota is over for this year, can I go to the US as a volunteer research fellow (i.e. on a B visa?) - and then change my status to an H1 visa after October?

I would highly appreciate any comments! Thank you.

Sincerely,
Dr Rasu
rasu@doctor.com

No Title

Dr Rasu,
Good news, the H1 quota is still very much available this year. In fact only half of the allotted H1 visas for this year have been used.
I don\'t think you can get a B visa for research job.
Good luck
MJ1

No Title

Dear MJ1, Thank you for your response. It is a relief that only about half of the allotted H1 visas for this year have been used. By the way, is there a website or a source of information where this figure can be checked some time later? I do not expect an offer for my Research Fellowship for a few weeks.

Thank you once again! Your help has been instrumental :)

Dr Rasu

No Title

Dr Rasu,
I do not know of such a site. But the INS publishes these numbers on a quarterly basis, I believe, and you can check various immigration related web sites for the numbers. You can also post under H visa discussion group on this website. This is by far the best web site on all immigration related stuff.
I would not worry too much about the H1s getting over this year. With the economy slowing down, not many H1s are being used.
Good luck with your efforts.
MJ1

No Title

Dear MJ1, Thank you once again! I am really glad I came across this discussion forum. You have ben very kind indeed :)

By the way MJ1, I have heard that the entire H1B application process could take a pretty long time (3 months + ?). I am expecting a letter of offer from a hospital for the research post in 2 or 3 weeks. What is the BEST way to go about getting the H1B processed in the shortest time? Yes, the employer has to place all the paperwork on my behalf - but how can I help to speed things up? Does / can a lawyer come in somewhere?

I am a real novice in this field, and I hope you do not mind me asking you like this. Thanks once again! God bless.

Warm regards,

Dr Rasu.

No Title

Dr. Rasu,
H1 approval times differ according to the Service Center at which the application is processed and the time at which you apply. If you are going to be anywhere in the midwest area, for example, the current H1 processing times are less than a month. So find out what the current times are for the area you will be going to. You can find this info on this web site. A lawyer can help, but cannot do anything to expedite the case. Besides, if the hospital is taking care of the paperwork, don\'t volunteer to employ a lawyer because the costs can be prohibitive esp. if you are not already here on payroll.
I think you should relax and not get in a hurry. Things will happen so long as you follow up.
Good luck
MJ1

No Title

Dear MJ1 ... thank you once again. Your suggestions are always so appripriate. :)

Dr Rasu.