H1B to GC - couple of questions

roverinexile

Registered Users (C)
Thanks to all you helpful people, I've managed to find answers to most of my questions through this forum. It's much appreciated. I do have a couple of quick questions, which I hope someone can clarify.

Background - I'm a British citizen. I've been in the US for almost 6 years on various visas - E2, then H1B, then F1 then H1B again. I married a USC a few weeks ago.

1. I know that my wife completes and files I-130 & I-864. Does she also have to file G-325A, or is that just for me?

2. My wife would like to change her name to take my name. Should she wait until the application is processed, or will the change not have an impact on the process?

3. My passport expires next summer. Since I don't have any trips back to my home country, I was planning to get a renewal through the embassy in the US. Should I renew it first, as it could be a problem doing this in the middle of the process, or should I file the GC application first?

Thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone with their applications.

roverinexile said:
Thanks to all you helpful people, I've managed to find answers to most of my questions through this forum. It's much appreciated. I do have a couple of quick questions, which I hope someone can clarify.

Background - I'm a British citizen. I've been in the US for almost 6 years on various visas - E2, then H1B, then F1 then H1B again. I married a USC a few weeks ago.

1. I know that my wife completes and files I-130 & I-864. Does she also have to file G-325A, or is that just for me?

2. My wife would like to change her name to take my name. Should she wait until the application is processed, or will the change not have an impact on the process?

3. My passport expires next summer. Since I don't have any trips back to my home country, I was planning to get a renewal through the embassy in the US. Should I renew it first, as it could be a problem doing this in the middle of the process, or should I file the GC application first?

Thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone with their applications.
Here is the complete list of forms that you or your wife will need to fill out. http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm#fba
she will have to fill out G325A with I130.
She don't have to wait to change her name. It won't have any impact on your application. You will have a proof of name change with you anyway. Same thing with passport. Just make sure that you get your new passport before they schedule for an interview.

Follow up questions

As I'm completing the forms, a couple of questions have arisen that I am sure someone can help clarify.

1. I-765 Q11 regarding past applications for EAD. I've had both an E-2 and H1-B visa, as well as OPT with my F-1 visa. Is it just the OPT that is relevant for this question?

2. I-130 Q19 asks for the relative's address abroad. Given that I live in the US with my wife, what address should I put here?

3. I-131 Part 7 asks you to submit supporting documentation of the reasons why you qualify for advance parole. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to include? Is it sufficient just to file it with the I-485?

4. Finally, can someone confirm that if I am filing the I-130 together with the I-485, I need to submit 2 sets of form G-325A for myself (the benificiary)?

Thanks in advance.

roverinexile said:
As I'm completing the forms, a couple of questions have arisen that I am sure someone can help clarify.

1. I-765 Q11 regarding past applications for EAD. I've had both an E-2 and H1-B visa, as well as OPT with my F-1 visa. Is it just the OPT that is relevant for this question?
The EAD from your OPT.

2. I-130 Q19 asks for the relative's address abroad. Given that I live in the US with my wife, what address should I put here?
Your home address in your home country where you lived before you came to US.

3. I-131 Part 7 asks you to submit supporting documentation of the reasons why you qualify for advance parole. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to include? Is it sufficient just to file it with the I-485?
You could write a small letter requesting them to process your travel document as you have travel plans for a family reunion sometime in 3-4 months.

4. Finally, can someone confirm that if I am filing the I-130 together with the I-485, I need to submit 2 sets of form G-325A for myself (the benificiary)?
I-130 = 2 sets of G-325A (1 for you, 1 for your wife)
I-485 = 1 set of G-325A (you need to fill it)

Thanks in advance.