H1B stamping - URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

vsharma013

Registered Users (C)
I appeared for an interview at the consulate for a simple H1B stamping case (i am based out of US since 97 on a H1B) and was asked for finger printing. This was on Jan 7th 2004. Since then, the consulate has three times asked me for application forms and photographs (which everytime I have confirmation of delivery). Yet now they say they dont have any status and cannot confirm that the papers are recieved yet as the papers might be with a different department. Worst part is they talk in the most inhumane possible way at the customer service

Its been 5 months, and now there is a possibility of loosing my job.

Do you think its a good idea to ask the consulate to withdraw my application, get the papers back and apply in Mumbai fresh. Will this be a good idea or I should stick to the course with the current application.

Thanks in advance

New Way of harrasing non-immigrants

I am in a similar boat as you. Based out of US, several visa, education in US and when went for 3rd H1B at Ottawa, was fingerprinted and now waiting. They haven't asked for papers again so far. Which consulate did you apply at? I would talk to a lawyer, write to local congressman and your state senator.

This is a new trend that other people going to Canada or Mexico should be aware of. Even if you are from India and not work in any sensitive area, there is increasing possibility of getting stuck with a 221(g) now.

Ever since I got stuck, I read more and more cases eveyday. Mostly people with common last names like kumar, sharma, singh etc.