H1B Revalidation questions

sfbay_area_guy

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

Apologies for posting on the wrong forum but then u're my best friends @ immigrationportal ;)

My H1B (visa sticker) is expired for more than 1 year so I can not do the St. Louis thingie... I need to get a revalidation from Bombay, India.

Whats the deal with that (my previous sticker is with the same employer).

Do I have to go to Bombay to get that done or can this be done using a courier service in India itself? Any recent experiences?

THanks...

I think you need to personally go to Bombay to get it stamped. It is illegal to be without proper travel documents, if for some god forbid reason you are being questioned.

You need the visa sticker only if you plan to travel. There is no need to travel to India just for getting a visa stamp. You can also get visa sticker in Canada Mexico.
These days getting visa has become tricky because of H1 status issues (employer not paying salary as promised, etc.) and because of security check issues.
If you have a pending I-485 petition, you can also apply for Advance Parole which acts as a travel document and can be used instead of an H visa.

I got my visa stamped in Vancouver. The only reason you need a visa in your passport is if you want to use it to travel. But you have the AP for that.

If you visit Bombay in the future, you can always send your passport in for stamping. I am not sure what the latest rule is but you can usually just use the courier service, tt services I think. (They have a website so you can check the rules.) But you cannot send your passport to India for stamping if you are not in India with it.

Good luck!

140_takes_4ever said:
I got my visa stamped in Vancouver. The only reason you need a visa in your passport is if you want to use it to travel. But you have the AP for that.

If you visit Bombay in the future, you can always send your passport in for stamping. I am not sure what the latest rule is but you can usually just use the courier service, tt services I think. (They have a website so you can check the rules.) But you cannot send your passport to India for stamping if you are not in India with it.

Good luck!

soon it will be mandatory to appear for interview for ALL visa applicants. This is to enable fingerprinting for all visas.

h1b

sfbay_area_guy said:
Folks,

Apologies for posting on the wrong forum but then u're my best friends @ immigrationportal ;)

My H1B (visa sticker) is expired for more than 1 year so I can not do the St. Louis thingie... I need to get a revalidation from Bombay, India.

Whats the deal with that (my previous sticker is with the same employer).

Do I have to go to Bombay to get that done or can this be done using a courier service in India itself? Any recent experiences?

THanks...
Hi!
you have to go for a personal interview if ur visa expired more than a year ago. There is possibiltiy that they may deny u visa for some reason and if u dont have a backup like a AP u r in India for good.!!!
Hope that is helpful.....got u worried??? but that is the fact!!!!
kkc

codex said:
I think you need to personally go to Bombay to get it stamped. It is illegal to be without proper travel documents, if for some god forbid reason you are being questioned.
@codex:

Nope - its only illegal to be staying in the US when you are out of status ( H1 after lay off etc ).
Visa is just a travel document - it enables (re)entry to the US.

If on H1, your current status is determined by your I94 ( or the I94 extension that comes with the 797 ).

There is nothing illegal about staying here with an expired visa stamping on the PP.