H1b Nogales (Jun19, 06) Security clearance issues

ybala

Registered Users (C)
I went to nogales for h1b stamping, the counselor looked at the CV and company's profile. As work was in biomedical/genetics counselor politely said she has to get security clearance before issuing a visa, which will take a weeks time and asked to call back after a week. I asked her how do i go back to the US then! for which she said well go back to the border post and they will determine if you are eligible to reenter.!! I told her madam, my GC is in the final stage and you could check out my background and such for which she said its nothing to do with ur GC i have to do a security clearance because of the nature of your work and skills.!!! Though i could get back to the US using parol it did not make sense to me.. any way... they are gods sitting on the other side of the window..!!

So just did not think much and went back to the border post to try my luck, used by h1b document with valid i94, did not work he said you need a valid visa to reenter, though the blogs/rules say you can reenter with valid i94. Any way since my GC was in progress and had a old parol document i showed that, he asked me to wait and then took me his second floor and mde me wait. And after ~2hrs of wait, being cross checked by border supervisors his computers, dont know what they do.. they let me go. Gosh, even at the post ever one interprets the rules in their own ways..

So the moral of my experience is, if you do not have valid visa and are working for bio/genetics/or related odd technology filelds and have master's or beyond qualification be prepared to stay out at the border for a week.!! Iam still waiting to see whats going to happen after a week!!!.. Though its the procedure for them, the entire process is really annoying...

If any of you had prior experienece please post your experience..

bala,

have you heard anything on your case. My case went to additional processing as VO did not understand the case.