H1B Lay off-what to do to get new H1-please suggest

g2k2

Registered Users (C)
My Current employer is planning lay off and i may be able to pull a couple of months yet, what should I do if some one is ready to offer me a job?How long does it take to join the new job legally without going out of status? please advice.

Technically the INS deems one out of status the day employment was terminated.

In practice, if there is a time gap between filing for the H-1 transfer with the new company, and the last date of employment with the old company, at the INS' discretion, the new H-1 is approved, in most cases without an I-94. This requires the H-1 holder to make a trip outside the U.S and come back with a new I-94 at POE to begin work. (also need to get a new visa if old visa has expired).

The exact time period is anybody's guess, but uder no circumstances should the the out-of-status period be > 180 days, since one is subjected to 3/10 year bars to entrys after that point

It is best to find another employer and have an H-1 filed (with receipt) BEFORE your current employer lays you off. You can begin work with the new employer once you have your H-1 receipt notice.