H1B expiry and revalidation

Bunty2772

Registered Users (C)
My company is working on applying for my H1B revalidation that is due to expire during the first week of May. But they are taking a long time in getting the process started. I have been hearing stories about BCIS taking a very long time to process these revalidations. What would happen if I dont hear back from the BCIS after my application while my H1B expires? Do I go out of status and stop working for this company? Or am I just worrying too much and I do have enough time for all this? Any suggestions or warning are very much appreciated.

I got this all wrong. I was confused between the process of H1B extension and H1B revalidation. I need to apply for H1B extension, not revalidation. Duh!!!

'Extension' means getting the visa extented...
'Revalidation' means getting it stamped in the passport.

Meow

Originally posted by meowmeow
'Extension' means getting the visa extented...
'Revalidation' means getting it stamped in the passport.

Meow

Meow,

Thanks for prompt reply. In my case, my H1-B visa got expired (for 1st time after 3 yrs) in Oct'03. I sent it for revalidation in Dec'03. So, I think I have done correct thing. Right?

Thanks,

Samir.

Originally posted by sshah1001
Meow,

Thanks for prompt reply. In my case, my H1-B visa got expired (for 1st time after 3 yrs) in Oct'03. I sent it for revalidation in Dec'03. So, I think I have done correct thing. Right?

Thanks,

Samir.

When your H1 expires
1. You will apply H1 to CIS for extension. If they approve you will get an approval notice (Called as I-797). This will come with I-94 at the bottom.
2. Now you need to get stamping on your passport as you did just before coming here. That is called revalidation. You send your original passport along with H1 approval to St. Louis

Originally posted by tammy2
When your H1 expires
1. You will apply H1 to CIS for extension. If they approve you will get an approval notice (Called as I-797). This will come with I-94 at the bottom.
2. Now you need to get stamping on your passport as you did just before coming here. That is called revalidation. You send your original passport along with H1 approval to St. Louis

Thanks Tammy2. This is what I did. How many days it will take now to get my passport and visa?

Thanks,

It takes approx two weeks for St.Louis Office to send the docs to Washington DC Office, where the actual re-validation(H1 Stamping) is done. It takes 10 to 12 weeks after it goes to the Washington DC Office. So, in total it could take approx 4 months. Some cases may get done sooner and some may take longer.

To find out when ur application reached Washington DC, you can call :
DC office # 202-663-1225 option 1 & 0

Be prepared to give your Passport Number. Sometimes, they may say that they don't give any details over the phone. You may try later if they say lke that. Good Luck!
:)
----------------------------------------------------------------
This is puely my opinion. You may consult an Attorney if you need expert advise