H1B Dilemma

abena

I will have exactly 6 months left of my H1b 6 year limit by the end of my internal medicine residency program in june 2007. What are my options in order to have a LC application pending for 365 days in order to be eligible for h1 one year extensions. Please I have tried to read prior post about similar issues about I am still slightly confused. Is it possible to apply for perm at the end of my residency and to have an approved ead by the time my six months is up? please help. I am from a non-retrogression country.

abena

You will have to find a way to get some sort of LC or I140 started at least 6 months before you graduate from residency.

One option is to get yourself a medical license and a job offer by the beginning of your chief year. The practice hiring you at the end of residency can then file a labor cert for 'physician general practice', requiring a medical license and 1 year of internship. This LC/I140 will enable you to get H1b extensions or even to adjust status to a green-card. (The difficulty with this approach is that there might be a couple of low-end docs in your area who indeed only have a medical license and internship. The kind of people who flunked out of residency or only managed to get a prelim surgery year. If they apply under the PERM advertisement it will be hard for the employer to certify that they didn't find any citizens/PRs)

The other option is to file something like an EB-1 'extraordinary ability' petition, mainly to get the pending I140.

why cant they hire as future internist,any ways they are applying for future job,by the time one joins the job,he or she will be board certified internist.so why not file like that.

Doc 14 my impression is that you need to have the qualifications reqd for the job at the time of filing a PERM/LC. That was my impression based on the responses I got from this forum

Yes, GC is for future job, but at the time of LC filing you need the qualification required for the job:

Physician GP: medical school graduation, medical license, 1 year internship
Physician internist: medschool, medical license, board eligibility IM