H1B and I-485 ?

nbala

Registered Users (C)
I filed my I-485 AOS a year and a half back.
I am working with my current employer on H1-B which is valid till Sept. 2004. (after which the 6 year limit will expire).

I have been offered a job, and the new employer is willing to transfer H1-B to his company. If I transfer my H1-B to my new company will it affect my I-485 status (the new company is in the same service center as the old one).

If tranferring my H1-B does not affect my I-485 status, will I be able to extend my H1-B after six years.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know I can transfer employers using EAD, but just wanted to explore my other option.

Originally posted by nbala
I filed my I-485 AOS a year and a half back.
I am working with my current employer on H1-B which is valid till Sept. 2004. (after which the 6 year limit will expire).

I have been offered a job, and the new employer is willing to transfer H1-B to his company. If I transfer my H1-B to my new company will it affect my I-485 status (the new company is in the same service center as the old one).
No, it will have no affect on your pending I-485 since you have already completed 180 days after filing.
If tranferring my H1-B does not affect my I-485 status, will I be able to extend my H1-B after six years.
As long as 485 is pending you can extend H1 in 1 year increments beyond 6 years.

But I thought in order to take advantage of AC-21, you need to use your EAD in your next job. Using EAD will nullify your H-1.

Originally posted by frantic
But I thought in order to take advantage of AC-21, you need to use your EAD in your next job. Using EAD will nullify your H-1.
I don't think you must use EAD for AC21 cases. I guess you can use H1 transfer also.