H1 visa issue

Kavyanu

Hello,

Today I received an email from the Hyderabad consulate to sumbit my passport for further processing after receiving a 221g. But the consulate kept my passport after the interview and the ceac website still shows refused status. What does this means? Can it be that consulate sent the email in error? I hope that is not the case.

The email requesting your passport after a 221g is a positive sign! It likely means your case is moving forward, even though the situation seems contradictory. Here's a breakdown:

• 221g and Retained Passport: This is standard procedure when further administrative processing is needed for your visa application.
  • CEAC Website Shows Refused: The CEAC website might not be updated in real-time. The "refused" status might reflect the initial outcome after the interview (where they gave you the 221g).
  • Consulate Email: This email requesting your passport signifies they need it to complete the additional processing triggered by the 221g.
Here's what you can do:

• Respond to the Email: Follow the instructions in the email from the Hyderabad consulate to submit your passport.
  • Wait for Updates: Processing times can vary, so be patient. Don't expect an immediate change on the CEAC website.
  • Consider Contacting the Consulate (Optional): If waiting creates anxiety, you can politely reply to the consulate email inquiring about the estimated timeframe for further processing, but acknowledge it might take time.
It's unlikely the email is an error. Consulates typically have procedures in place before requesting passports for further processing.

Be Optimistic!: While the situation might seem confusing, receiving a request for your passport is a positive development. It indicates your application is not completely refused and is undergoing further review.

Last edited by a moderator: