H1 visa cancelled

sai_ani

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

My wife works for a MNC in Chennai, India and had a valid H1 visa in her passport. I am on H1 status in US. She did not get a project through the MNC for a few months. So she applied for H4 visa and we thought that her She can have both H1 and H4 visas on her passport. ( since both the visas are 'H' visas, ther is no conflict or atleast we thought so! )

She had her H4 interview few days back at chennai counslate and got her passport back today and we are stunned to find that her H1 visa has been cancelled ( cancelled without prejudice stamped on the passport ).

Is there any way to reverse this change? Any use in talking to chennai counslate about this?

Also her H-1 petition and I-797 are still valid right? Can she get another H-1 stamp on her passport?

Thanks
I appreciate your reply
sai_ani

sai_ani said:
Hi All,

My wife works for a MNC in Chennai, India and had a valid H1 visa in her passport. I am on H1 status in US. She did not get a project through the MNC for a few months. So she applied for H4 visa and we thought that her She can have both H1 and H4 visas on her passport. ( since both the visas are 'H' visas, ther is no conflict or atleast we thought so! )

She had her H4 interview few days back at chennai counslate and got her passport back today and we are stunned to find that her H1 visa has been cancelled ( cancelled without prejudice stamped on the passport ).

Is there any way to reverse this change? Any use in talking to chennai counslate about this?

Also her H-1 petition and I-797 are still valid right? Can she get another H-1 stamp on her passport?

Thanks
I appreciate your reply
sai_ani

One cannot have two different non-immigrant visas at the same time. WHen your wife's H4 visa was issued, all other visas automatically got cancelled. There is nothing you can do about it.
If she enters US, she will have to be admitted on H4 since she does not have a valid H1 visa. That also means she cannot work after entering US on H4. She will then need a new H1 approval.