h1 to L2

gksat

Hi,
I am presently on h1b. I am on bench for quite some time. I have no recent pay stubs. My h1 expires on july 2002. My wife is on L1. I would like to know whether I can change my h-1 to L2.If yes, I would like to know whether I can do it from here or should I go to India and get it changed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
gksat

Hi,
I am presently on h1b. I am on bench for quite some time. I have no recent pay stubs. My h1 expires on july 2002. My wife is on L1. I would like to know whether I can change my h-1 to L2.If yes, I would like to know whether I can do it from here or should I go to India and get it changed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
gksat

You can try and do it from here. INS might be sympathetic towards your case and issue an approval (I-797) along with the I-94 - If not, your L-2 approval will be issued without an I-94, which means that you will have to leave the US and return to your home country in order to get the L-2 visa stamped in your passport.

The writer of this message is not a lawyer and this message is not meant to be legal advice. Before relying on this information, you must consult a lawyer on the facts of your specific case. The Law Offices of Rajiv S. Khanna takes no responsibility for the accuracy of this information.