H1 Stamping @Toronto

usnycus

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to go Toronto in the first/second week of Jan. Please post your experience if you had appointment with US consulate in Toronto recently.

Background: Came to US in 1995 , graduated from school in 1998 and applied for PT for a year (valid till Sep 1999). One of the consulting company (A) located in NYC applied for H1 in Feb 1999, approved in April 1999. Changed employer to B from A in March 2000 and came back to company A in Sep 2000. Currently working with company A since 2000, they also applied for GC (LC/AP/EAD all approved, 140/485 still pending at VSC).

Scheduled an interview with US consulate in Toronto for Jan 08, 2004 for first time US H1-B visa. Drove from NYC to Toronto on Jan 07, no problem at border while crossing. No one even bothered to check anything at US side and interview was trivial at Canadian side.

I had appointment @11.00 AM with US consulate. One of my friend dropped me there around 10:30AM and I tried to enter US consulate right away with no problem. Security outside the consulate only wanted to verify the date. They let me in and after getting security checked I had to wait another 30 min. to get into the visa office. Security officer was letting 5 people at a time to get into the visa office and remaining had to wait in line. There were around 15 people in front of me and by the time I got in, another 30 people came. I had to stand in another line for another 10 minutes to submit application form and supporting letters.

When my turn came, officer at counter # 8 called me and asked me to show the appointment letter as well as related forms. After looking at the application and appointment letter she took only 156/157, passport, and 797. She returned me remaining documents and told me to wait in the waiting area. There were around 60 chairs; all occupied and 10-15 people were also standing. I waited for another 15 minute before I could find a place to sit. After waiting for almost an hour and a half (around 1:00 PM), officer at counter # 6 announced my name. I went there with all the papers and following is the transcript from our conversation (as far as I remember).

Officer: Where is your previous passport?
My Response: No reply, just gave her my old passport.
Officer: Where is your father/mother?
My Response: They went back to India in 1997.
Officer: When you converted your status to H1?
My Response: 1999.
Officer: Did you work anywhere while you were student?
My Response: Yes. Part time with current employer.
Officer: You know it’s not allowed to work while you are on F1?
My Response: Yes. But I had EAD approved by INS based on Economic necessity.
Officer: What is their primary business of your employer?
My Response: It’s a consulting company.
Officer: Is it (current employer) owned by Indian?
My Response: Yes.
Officer: So it’s a body shop.
My Response: No. We are primarily involved with customizing pre-built software depending upon client business requirement.
Officer: how many people your employer currently employs?
My Response: 30 in US. Also we have around 50 consultants working for us who are not our employee. We also have around 200 employees working at our branch in Banglore, India.
Officer: Where is your H1-B petition?
My Response: No reply, gave her the copy of H1-B petition.
Officer: Do you have recent pay-stub?
My Response: No reply, gave her pay-stub for last six month.

She started writing something on the application and told me to go to the 3rd floor to pay the visa fees. I went upstairs paid the fees and came back in 15 minutes. She was out for lunch by the time I came back and I left receipt with the person sitting at the next counter. Within 10 minutes, officer at counter #2 announced my name and I approached her.

Following is the transcript from our conversation:

Officer: Where is the receipt for reciprocity fees?
My Response: I left that at counter #6. You want me to go and get it? (I went to counter #6 and got back the receipt).
Officer: You have mentioned that current employer is sponsoring your GC. At what stage you are?
My Response: I have LC/EAD/AP approved and I am waiting for 140/485.
Officer: If you already have AP, why do you need H1 visa?
My Response: Lately we got clients who are located outside US and I might need to travel. Most of the countries are not aware of AP and our attorney suggested to get H1-B visa stamped on passport to avoid any complications.
Officer: I need to finger print your index finger?
My Response: No reply, followed her instruction.

She gave me a receipt and told me to come back next day to collect the passport. Got passport back next day with multiple H1-B visa, and drove back to NYC without any problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paperwork for h1b stamping in Toronto

usnycus - Can you tell the community here what paperwork / procedure is required for h1b visa stamping at the US counsalte in Toronto, or from where can we obtain this information ? I am planning to go for stamping of my h1b (3rd employer) visa. I already have two h1b visas stamped in my passport.

thx
Nakul

ash1234

I didn't get new I-94 at the border.

When I reached around 3:00PM on Saturday, there were 7/8 cars ahead of me in line. Officers were checking car trunk and papers. When my turn came, I stopped my car at the window and following is the transcript from my conversation with the officer:

Officer: I need to see some ID.
My Response: No reply, I gave my passport.

Officer: What is the purpose of your trip?
My Response: I work in NYC. I went to US consulate in Toronto to get the H1-B visa.

Officer: Where is your I-94?
My Response: No reply, I gave I-797.

Officer: What are you carrying with you?
My Response: It’s all personal stuff.

He started making some notes and gave me back both (passport & I-797). He told me to go ahead and continue with the journey. I checked my passport for any stamp but there was none. I asked him, "Do I need to see immigration officer". His reply was "no, you don't need to".

And that was it. It took hardly 5 minutes. I was in NYC around 9:00 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
nkjohri

I went to get visa stamped first time on the passport and that's the reason I was carrying a load of papers. List might change depending upon individual:

List of docs:

1) Appointment Letter
2) 156/157 forms (check State dept. for how many you need)
3) Photograph
4) Passport
5) I-797 (H1-B Approval notice original)
6) I-129 (H1-B Petition filed by employer, make sure it has supporting letter and LCA)
7) Pay-stub
8) Current employment letter.
9) W-2 for last couple of years
10) All the documents issued by INS (like old H1-B, or F1 etc)
11) Degree/transcripts from college/school.

Also check following website for more information:

http://www.amcits.com/documentation.asp

Guidance Please..usnycus or gurus..

Usnycus / Gurus out here,

Amidst the docs required for H1B Stamping ( www.amcits.com), i t states

" Appointment should be made ten days prior to the validity date on the I-797 or after the validity date has passed. "

What does this translate to. ??

I have an appointment at Ottawa consulate for H1B revalidation ( 7th year extension). Have my two previous stamps from home country , but do not have US education. Validity date of my renewal I-797 is from 04/17/2004 to 04/17/2005.

Does this mean I can not take appointments only after 04/07/2004.?? I was looking forward to getting my visa stamp ASAP before the expiry of my current visa stamp in mid April.

Have any of U gone thru this.. Please shed some light on this..

Thanks,
-solicit

You are correct in interpreting "Appointment should be made ten days prior to the validity date on the I-797 or after the validity date has passed."

You can go there any day after April 6.

guys,

ANy imputs on H4 to H1 stamping in Toronto.
My friend's wife has to travel to Canada on her new job for a week. No US degree. No prior H-1 stamping in passport.
ANy chances of rejections.If rejected what happens. DO they allow to enter into US or do they send back to India

ANy experience or inputs greatly appreciated

Ottawa consulate

Hi Guys,

I am planning to get H1-B stamping in ottawa (1st Feb 2006).

I just want to know the experience from this consulate.

I started with F1-opt-h1B.

regards

ravi

Ravi, if you don't mind, can you please......

tell me your experience at the Ottawa Consulate for H1-B Revalidation/Stamping. I am in the USA for last 7 years (so going in for 8th year stamping as i need to travel to india later this year). I have made an appointment for April and would appreciate you sharing your experience.
Thanks - Kris

visavar said:
Hi Guys,

I am planning to get H1-B stamping in ottawa (1st Feb 2006).

I just want to know the experience from this consulate.

I started with F1-opt-h1B.

regards

ravi

H1 B Visa Stamping in Ottawa

Friends,

I have an appointment at Ottawa consulate for H1B Stamping. Anyone care to share their experience ?

In addition, i will be going with my spouse and son (2 years old). My son is a US Citizen. Do i need to include him in the application as a dependant? He does not require a visa, but needs to enter the consulate with us (since i cannot leave him outside obviously) . However, on the confirmation package it says only the applicant and dependants will be allowed inside. Any opinion ?

Thanks.

Entering Canada for Stamping--- -Pls advice

Hi,

I have been in US from over 5 yrs, last 2 years on H1b status, did not got my h1b stamped since my visa changed to from f1 student visa to h1b. In few months I will be travelling to Toronto by car.

I have multiple entry visitor visa for Canada.
At Canadian Border by road, would I be asked to show return visa for usa? My F1 Visa has expired 6 months back and I have valid H1b approval notice.
In addition, I changed my employer and have approval with new H1b status.

I plan to get my US Visa stamped in Canada. Or Should Take the Interview date at US consulate before ? Are Canadian border security ask me for an interview letter?

Please advice.

VA