H1 revalidation experience at Tijuana

praveeng78

Registered Users (C)
This forum helped me a lot during my research before the stamping. I am posting my experience as it may be of help to some others.

I went for my stamping during the 1st week of May, accompanied by my wife, and a friend. All of us were revalidation candidates.

As mentioned in a few other posts, we carried the following.
Approval Notice Original
Appointment confirmation page
LCA copy
Passport
DS-156, DS-157 with photo pasted
Current employment verification from your company
Offer letter from your company
Degree certificates and transcripts
Paystubs
Bank statements
W2
Tax returns
All US immigration documents such as all previous I20's and previous I-797's
Manager contact info (preferably a visiting card)
Marriage Certificate
Resume

-----------------
GOOD TO HAVE
-----------------
past experience/recommendation letters

----------------------
OTHER THINGS TO CARRY
----------------------
Around $250 cash (in 1s,5s,10s, & 20s) for visa fees ($108+$6) and
travel expenses (cab, etc)

We flew to San Diego the day before the appt, stayed there, and drove our rental car to the border in the morning. We took the last US exit, and parked in one of the several parking lots. (8:20 AM)

We then took the foot bridge across the border. On the Mexican side there was no one to check the entry. Good thing because we had no visa or permit :) (8:30 AM)

Cab drivers approach you as you enter Mexico. Be sure to mention that you want to go to the new consulate on Diego Rivera as we were taken to the old one (8:40 AM). This happened to a few others too. We took the bank receipts ($108) near the old consulate, and took a cab to the real place (9:15 AM). The old consulate hands out cryptic maps to show you where the new place is.

There are no fixed appointment times. Everyone for H1B is sent in as and when they arrive. Nobody even looked at our appointment sheets. H1, F1 have a separate line. The backpacks you carry can be stored in the restaurant next door for 3$. If you are carrying your company/client access badge, be sure to remove any belt attachments. We had to throw them away.

9:40 AM
Inside the consulate, first the photo/finger prints are taken(9:55 AM). Then you wait in line for the interview. One window was dedicated to H1/F1 visas. The lady who interviewed us looked bored and mean :)

10:05 AM
Questions:
What does your company do?
How many employees?
How did you learn about your employer?
If you work at client locations, be prepared to explain that too.
I was asked to show the I129 document, my wife was asked to show the employment verification letter.
If you have changed employer, be prepared to explain.

Total time at the window was about 3 mins. We were asked to pick up the passports at 2 PM. 2$ by cab takes you to the Rio Plaza where we spent the next 3 1/2 hours. Unfortunately no English movie was being screened :mad:

At 2 PM, we were given the passports. We took a cab to the border, where we were asked to stand in a line where the permits are issued. It took 2 hrs to get the I-94. Routine questions were asked by the officer.

At 4:20 PM, we were back on American soil.

Language is a huge problem, be prepared to be patient. Even the consulate employees have very little English skills.

Thats about all I can remember. I will gladly answer any questions.

Now about that Green Card. Ohh crap!! :mad: :mad: This never ends, does it???

Good luck

Hello praveeng78,

I had gone last year for my 7th year H1B/H4 extension and posted my experience in this forum. When you mentioned do not go to Old consulate & mention new consulate - Do you have any idea from when it got moved to the new location?

How far is the new consulate from the old consulate? Did you find Banamex bank close enough to New consulate? Please let me know.

Is your H1B extension is for one year from 6 to 7th year (or) a 3 yr
H1B extension based on approved I-140 (or) regular H1B extension? Please clarify & give details on those.

Thanks.

I had gone last year for my 7th year H1B/H4 extension and posted my experience in this forum. When you mentioned do not go to Old consulate & mention new consulate - Do you have any idea from when it got moved to the new location?

I have heard that the consulate got moved sometime in Jan 2007. I am not sure.

How far is the new consulate from the old consulate? Did you find Banamex bank close enough to New consulate? Please let me know.

The new consulate is closer to the border, or at least I felt so. It must about 3 miles from the old consulate. Some others have previously posted that there is a Banamex bank opposite to the Rio Plaza, which is a 10-15 mins walk. I got mine done near the old consulate.

Is your H1B extension is for one year from 6 to 7th year (or) a 3 yr
H1B extension based on approved I-140 (or) regular H1B extension? Please clarify & give details on those.

Mine was a 4th year extension, no I140 required. Yet !!!