H1 re-stamping in Canada - Can you please advice?

rraghav1

Hi,
I came to US on H1b visa through company-A. After coming to US I have changed 2 companies. My stamping through company-A is valid only till Sep-30-2006(though my H1b with my present company is valid till 2008). I am planning to go for re-stamping in Canada. I have the below questions which I would like to get clarified:

1. Do I need to go for stamping before Sep-30-2006? When would it be appropriate for me to go for re-stamping please?

2. If I go before Sep-30-2006 and in case my visa is cancelled, would I be able to come back into US?

Can you please advice?

Thanks.

Regards
rraghav

Hi,

An unexpired visa stamp in passport is required only when you want to enter US. If you don't have any plans to go out at all of US then you are fine even if stamped old visa is expired. Just make sure that you keep the new approval notice valid till 2008 with your passport all the time.

I had got my H4 and my husband's H1 stamped in Canada in 2005 but then we had a valid reason to be in Canada since my husband was on project in Canada. But as far as I know these days they don't stamp in other countries............but check on this forum if recently someone has a experience of getting a stamp in Canada or Mexico.

Thanks
Anu

An unexpired visa is required to enter USA. Keep the original petition and new approved I-797 whenever you travel back to USA before sep-30-06.

If you have plans to stay out of USA after sep-30-06 or if you will be entering USA after sep-30-06, you should have valid visa on your passport. In this case, you may go to Canada for stamping.

I know few Indian friends of mine went to Canada for stamping (re-validation)

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. The reason why I want to go for stamping is I would need to go to India after Sep-30-2006. So I would like to know, even if they deny visa, can I come back again into US with the valid I-797. Can anyone who knows about this please clarify? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
rraghav1

rraghav1 said:
Hi,
Thanks for your replies. The reason why I want to go for stamping is I would need to go to India after Sep-30-2006. So I would like to know, even if they deny visa, can I come back again into US with the valid I-797. Can anyone who knows about this please clarify? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
rraghav1

As far as I understand.. you should have no problems in getting the new visa stamped on your passport. My sister has done this twice.. primarily because it was a long wait in getting the appointment in Delhi.

If the new visa stamping is rejected (which I doubt, since you already have an approval), and you travel back before Sep-30-2006, you should be fine on the old one. However, most of the time, they stamp a "CANCELLED WITHOUT PREDUJICE" on all old/unapplicable visas. What that means is that they have cancelled the visas, but only because they were old and not because of any fault of yours.

Now, if that happens.. I am not sure what it means. Check with a lawyer

H1-B stamping in Canada/Mexico

Hi,

My H1-B visa expires towards of this year and I have my H1-B approval from my current employer till mid 2008. I want to go for stamping to either Canada/Mexico with Toronto being nearest USA embassy to me. Does any one advice me (may be from their recent experience or from the experiences of their friends or known people) as which would be USA embassy either in Canada/Mexico that has good chances of getting visa with minimal number of queries or minimal chances of visa application being deferred for enquiries/security checks although I have all documentation needed. Does any one post their recent experience of getting H1-B visa stamped from Toronto USA embassy.

Thanks in advance,
Sasi

Hello Ethereal,

When was the latest that your sister got the stamp.

When I had been to stamp in Canada the lady at the counter was kind of skeptical in stamping the visa b'se she said that she didnot have our past history in her computer records since it is mostly maintained in the consulate of our home country and she cannot have access to it. So she asked us to come back again next days.....probably wanted to think about it.........

We went again the next day and tried to convince her that it would be best for us to get the stamp since we had to stay out of US (b'se of project in Canada) for longer time and we will have problem in entering back in US from Canada. In the end she did stamp our visa.

Thanks
Anu