h1 pending, keep b2 visa appointment or not?

greeksocrates

Registered Users (C)
hello folks,

my dad is in a tricky situation and i'd appreciate if anybody can say what might be a good course of action to minimize the risk of visa rejection.

my parents have an appointment in chennai for a visitor's visa (to visit me) coming up in a couple of weeks. a couple of months after making the appointment (several months back) , my dad got an employment offer from a company in US, he took it, and they filed for his H-1 here.

recently after getting his EAC number, his company's lawyer advised him to *not* go for this coming-up visitor's appointment saying the chances of rejection are high, and that he should wait till his h-1 gets approved.

but even if he gets his h-1 approved in the next 1-2 months, and he *then* takes the appointment showing the h-1 approval paper (as required to get an appointment), there is a further wait of 3-6 months before he can get an appointment date.

so what i would like is for them to come here for the summer, go back, and then later go for the h-1 visa if and when it comes through.

what is the problem with doing this? and giving this as the plan to the consular officer?

also, if it helps, my dad has been here a few years back on h-1 and my mother as a visitor.

would appreciate any helpful suggestions on whether they should go or not for the appointment...

thanks!
greeksocrates