H1 or EAD?

xyk

Registered Users (C)
Our I-485 is pending with ND around mar, 2002
My wife is working with her H-1 right now and she also got her EAD, which will expire this Aug. Her H-1 (first three year) will expire this Oct.
Definitely, she will not change her employer.
Which one should she choose, H-1 or EAD?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tasse,

I am having the same question, too. My H-1 will expire the end of June and my EAD is still pending (RD 9/26/02. ND 10/1/02). I requested company's HR for H-1 extention and she asked lawyer's opinion. The lawyer replied that:

If she has a valid EAD card and AP, she can work and travel. Those both need to be extended 90 days before the expiration date, if they are not, you will have to extend the H-1, so that she doesn’t lose his work status.

It looks like if I have valid EAD, I don't need H-1 extention. I am wondering why you suggested to have both? Any disadvantage of holding only EAD without H-1?

I will really appreciate your answers. Thanks a lot in advance. :)

Same here. My H1(first 3 yrs) expires on october. But, i have EAD, AP. I am preferring to get my H1 extended rather than using EAD, just in case.

Life with only EAD has two disadvantages.

1 - You always need to worry about expiration of EAD. Have you seen treads below about people who applied for EAD renewal late, or applied on time but didn’t receive any receipt, or spent night near INS office waiting for iEAD?

2 - If you are going to travel you must have AP, it’s again time.