H1 expired and no receipts from extension

realmessy

Registered Users (C)
Hi ,
it will be great if anyone can help ..i have files my H1 extension last month end and my current H1 is expiring on 22nd of this month .
I haven't received the receipt notice should i stop working as i will be out of status ones my current H1 expires and the their is no receipt for the extension.

thanks and regards

As long as the extension petition was properly filed before your current petition expires, you can continue working even after October 22 until 240 days pass without adjudication.

If the USCIS denies the extension petition for some reason later, you need to stop working when you receive such decision.

When did your employer file your extension petition?

There is a kind of pre-adjudication intake process at USCIS Service Centers for all petitions, and a fee receipt notice is issued at this stage. If there is anything wrong with what your emplyer filed such as a check with incorrect fees or outdated or missing forms, USCIS usually will NOT perform intake process and return your entire petition. If this happens, your employer needs to re-file the entire extension petition, and there is a chance that you will not be considered to maintain status while extension is pending especially your emplyer ends up re-filing the extension after October 22.

I know that USCIS was recently experiencing difficulty issuing receipt notices in time. Hopefully you will get yours in time.

Last edited by a moderator: