H1 chances for an Experimental Psychology student?

Sukanya Rao

Hi,
   I am doing my masters in Experimental psychology. I also did 3 courses in computer science. I am trying to decide what I should do from here on based on the experience of the H1-B community. I\'d like to finish my psychology masters but I do not want to be stuck without a job. Should I consider shifting to CS? Any response will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sukanya

No Title

hello sukanya;
First of all find out how are the job opportunities for experimental psychology out in the field. I mean in general not for foreigners on F1. If in general this field is hot and the other students are managing to get a job, then follow the same trend to get a job as soon as you finish masters, probably on optional practical training which you are eligible for an year after completing the masters on F1. 1 year time is pretty good to either find a job or establish in the job to ask the employer to sponsor you for H1B. My field is in Public health, last year I was in graduate school. I didn\'t find single person who got a job and got H1B. But, I made a move to more opportunity state and got good interviews and got a job while I am on OPT, right now my H1B is in process. Believe me, with public health if I can do this any other specialty can do it. Jyotsna

No Title

Hi Jyotsna,
Thanks for the reply. I did do some research and some of my seniors did get good jobs. What I am wondering though is that even though you find somebody to sponsor you for H1, What are the chances for approval by the INS. It\'s good to hear a success story like yours, Are you pretty confident that your H1 will go through?
Thanks again,
Sukanya.