H1-B to GC questions

RareAir

Registered Users (C)
I am currently in the USA on a H1-B visa which expires at the end of November 2004. In april 2004 I married a USC in my home country. We retuned in late april to the US and now live here. Ive been working at my current place of employment for about 5 years. Hoever I have not been able to accept some other job offers to date as my H1-B has limited me to working for this one firm.

I want to get my green card and im not 100% sure about the forms i need to fill out. What sort of wait time am I looking at? Can I continue to work at the place where I have my H1-B though after the H1-B ends? At what point in the process will I be able to look for work with a diffrent firm than where I am working right now.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Seems to me that you have not applied GC through your employer...then, you need to start your immigration process through your wife. She needs to file I-130 Petition for Alien Relative for you, since she is USC, you can file the I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status along with AP(Advance Parol which allows you to travel oversee), EAD(Employment Authorization Document which allows you to work). For details, go to USCIS web site for forms etc.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/residency/family.htm
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPRApplication.htm

Depend on which state you live, the whole process varies. It may take 6 months up to 2~3 years(who knows) before you get GC. You need to have EAD in order to work after your H1-B expires, once you have an EAD, you can work anywhere.

You need to file at least I130/I485 before your H1B expires, otherwise, you may have legal problem to stay here.

If I were you, I'd file ASAP.

RareAir said:
I am currently in the USA on a H1-B visa which expires at the end of November 2004. In april 2004 I married a USC in my home country. We retuned in late april to the US and now live here. Ive been working at my current place of employment for about 5 years. Hoever I have not been able to accept some other job offers to date as my H1-B has limited me to working for this one firm.

I want to get my green card and im not 100% sure about the forms i need to fill out. What sort of wait time am I looking at? Can I continue to work at the place where I have my H1-B though after the H1-B ends? At what point in the process will I be able to look for work with a diffrent firm than where I am working right now.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the typical wait time on EAD's?

FYI, I will be dealing with the Charlotte NC office for my immigration matters. How long does getting an EAD typically take?

Welcome aboard.

If you are family basis, all your applications will be transfered to MSC/NBC, the I130 and EAD will be processed there, the processing date is not reliable.

The receipt date for my EAD is 7/26, no words yet. Typically, if after 3 months you have not received approval of EAD, you can get an interim one in your local office which is Charlotte.

RareAir said:
FYI, I will be dealing with the Charlotte NC office for my immigration matters. How long does getting an EAD typically take?

RareAir said:
I am not familiar with the term MSC/NBC what does this mean?
It's mean National Benefit Center/ Missouri Service Center both are the same thing. And your receipt # will start with MSC

I will be filin thru lawyer but we live in San antonio..same case GC thru marriage. any idea on timeframes in san antonio, TX..
thanks..rkg72