H1-B stamping for post-docs/higher education staffs

raysaikat

Registered Users (C)
I had to go for my H1-B stamping at Frankfurt consulate. For post-docs/highly educated people, they require additional documents that they do not post on their website. I feel that it is simply a way for them to excuse themselves from granting VISA immediately. So here is the list of things that they needed in the Frankfurt consulate, but it is probably similar at other places as well:

1. C.V. showing educational and professional experience
2. List of publications
3. Summary of current research
4. Abstracts
5. Itinerary (nothing special here)
6. Letter of Invitation (I submitted a letter of employment).

The main things are your C.V., I think quite detailed; a list of your publications; abstract of each publication. It is also probably a smart idea to bring printouts of the papers themselves although I do not think that they will ask for those. Moreover, bring a simplified summary of all aspects of your research that a lay-person can understand easily.

In spite of having all these, they asked for a security clearance for my VISA. So be prepared for it. It took 4 weeks for the clearance to come to their office from USA and they took about 1 more week to process that and notify me. So I had to stay in Germany for about 6 weeks.

Thus, the bottom line is that do not apply to a country where you do not have places/friends to stay for 1.5 months (or unless you have sufficient money to stay in hotels for that much time) and take sufficient things (laptops, e.g.) so that you can continue to work from abroad during this period.