H1-B or EAD?

nirvana

Registered Users (C)
I am on an H-1B and have applied for AOS 12/00. Does the EAD provide additional protection in any way? Is it possible that one could be on an H1-B, apply for an EAD-not use the EAD-and add a spouse to the I-485 application(after receiving the EAD)? Hopw I didn\'t make the question too confusing.

Thx in advance

No Title

Nirvana,
 You could add ur spouse any time bfr ur 485 application gets adjudicated. It does not have any bearing on if the EAD was applied or used. My understanding is, your H1 status will be lost when you use the EAD and hence you will need AP to travel. If you just keep the approved EAD and not use it, you may be able to remain in H1.

No Title

If you are in the danger of losing your job get the EAD else stay on H-1. You can always take the EAD whenever you want from a local INS office. It only takes a couple of hours and $100.

But once you take EAD H-1 is invalid. If you wanted to come back on H-1 you would have to go out and come back in with a new H-1.

So if you are working with no layoffs in sight stay on that H-1.

No Title

Thank you guys.

Don\'t see a probability of my getting laid off (lay-offs already done), but you never know.
I think I will hold off on the EAD for now, since it is so easy to obtain it.

No Title

You can always take the AD whenever you want from a local INS office that include BOSTON INS office?.

Thanks a lot