h-4 to f-1

shrutikumar0

im on an h-4 currently. we havent started our gc processing. i need to know the exact procedure for a conversion from h-4 to
f-1 especially whether i need to go back to india for a status change

Re

I think that you have to get the visa stamped only if u want to travel. Once u get the approval of the transfer you are eligible to study as an F1. question: will the transfer of H4 to F1 accept ur GC process. have u researched that??

You will need to fill I-539 form to get your status change from H4 to F1. Read the F visa thread under US Immigration and you get details of what needs to be sent. My wife has been thru this process recently.

You can have all the priveldges of an F1 visa holde while in US, no need to go back to India and get the visa stamped, but if you to India you will have to go the US embassy and get F1 stamped. This is not advisable, becuase of a high probabilty of rejection.

re:

will doing this have any implications on my green card because i will be giling I485 later with my husband

No, it won't have any effect on your I-485.

But vice versa is not true. I mean if you file for I-485 and then you apply for H4 to F1 (I-539), then it won't be approved, because then you have already shown your intent to be a permanent resident (by filing I485) and then if you apply for a non immigrant visa (F1), BCIS will definately reject your application.
For your F-1 application you will have to prove to BCIS that you intend to return to your country after completing studies, and by filing I485 you are showing your permanent resident intent.

File your F-1 before your husband files for I-485. I would recommend try to get it approved before he files for I485

f1 stamping

Hi All,

I came to US on H4 and currently I am on F1, which was done in US(2001). The F1 will expire in Dec 2003 but I will get an extension of 3 months, so the valid F1 will be till march 2004.

I want to go to India in November 2003, and surely I will have to get my passport stamped to come back to US. My question is: if I have all the valid documents and letter from university are there any changes of rejection? Also, as I have F1 approved I can use the dropbox and would not have to go to the consulate in person.
My main concern is the reason or chance of rejection, if any?

Any help and guidance on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Nina

hrtomd

You mentioned that your wife went thru this.
Could you please provide details of what you sent to prove that
you intended to leave the US after studies.
Is just a letter enough?
My wife needs to apply for this now...

Thanks,
Bharad