H-4 social security number and changing status to F-1 issue

DY1972

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

I am a H-1B visa holder, my wife just arrived at US several days ago, we are living in massachusetts. We went to the local social security office to apply for a social security number for her, but her application was denied, and we were told because she is a H-4 visa(depedent visa), she is not allowed to be assigned a social security number. But if she can't have a social security number, can she get a health insurance?(my insurance can cover her), can she get a driver lisense, can she take classes at university? And I heard now if a H-4 wants to change to a F-1, he(she) has to apply a F-1 outside of US, is this true?

Any info is helpful, Thank you in advance.....

DY

she cant have social security number, but she will be covered under your health insurance normally and she can have a driver lisense with out ssn , she need to go to DMV with her passport and there she can apply.
she can apply for studies in US universities and for that she need not to go out of US . Once on f-1 she will get her SSN too.
tony

Apply for TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number). You can find more information regarding this on www.irs.gov. TIN is for all the people who are not eligible for SSN. Just remember having a TIN does not make you eligible for work

aksmks