Gurus please suggest me about AC-21

wendymacky

Registered Users (C)
Today I came to know that INS has issued a new memorandum for AC-21 on 12th May. After reading it my case seems to be identical to the first question below. I did not have my I-140 approved the time I left the company but my 485 was pending for more than 180 days. After I left the company my 140 was approved without any RFE and till now my previous company did not withdraw my Green Card application. So according to this Memorandum is my case appovable ? Do you think this memorandum has helped me to file for my AC21? Please suggest me . I need your opinion .
Regards
Wendy

Question 1. How should service centers or district offices process unapproved I-140 petitions that were concurrently filed with I-485 applications that have been pending 180 days in relation to the I-140 portability provisions under §106(c) of AC21?

Answer: If it is discovered that a beneficiary has ported off of an unapproved I-140 and I-485 that has been pending for 180 days or more, the following procedures should be applied:

A. Review the pending I-140 petition to determine if the preponderance of the evidence establishes that the case is approvable or would have been approvable had it been adjudicated within 180 days. If the petition is approvable but for an ability to pay issue or any other issue relating to a time after the filing of the petition, approve the petition on it’s merits. Then adjudicate the adjustment of status application to determine if the new position is the same or similar occupational classification for I-140 portability purposes.

B. If additional evidence is necessary to resolve a material post-filing issue such as ability to pay, an RFE can be sent to try to resolve the issue. When a response is received, and if the petition is approvable, follow the procedures in part A above.

Question 2. How should service centers or district offices process unapproved I-140 petitions that were concurrently filed with I-485 applications that have been pending 180 days and a Request for Evidence (RFE) has been issued?

Memorandum for Service Center Directors, et al. Subject: Interim Guidance for Processing Form I-140 Employment-Based Immigrant Petitions and Form I- 485 and H-1B Petitions Affected by the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act of 2000 (AC21) (Public Law 106-313) Page 4

Answer: If a response to an RFE is received, and the response does not adequately address the issues, or the response is simply that the beneficiary no longer works for the petitioner, or a response is not received at all, and the petition still cannot be approved:

A. Deny the petition on the merits of the case; and
B. Deny the I-485 and the portability request since there was never an approved petition from which to port.

New AC-21 Memorandam ..please let me know your feedback.

Thanks a lot aws .
I did not have my I-140 approved the time I left the company ( left company in February 2005) but my 485 was pending for more than 180 days. After I left the company my 140 was approved (1-140 approved in March 2005) without any RFE and till now my previous company did not withdraw my Green Card application.
Now my concern is that since the new AC-21 Memorandum came out May 12 th 2005 ....Will INS consider the cases before 12th May . I mean whether this new Memorandam is applicable for the cases before May 12th 2005 .
Secondly , Can INS or my previous company withdrwa/invalid my entire GC process at this point.

I would highly appreciate your feed back .
Thanks
Regards
Wendy

wendymacky said:
Thanks a lot aws .
I did not have my I-140 approved the time I left the company ( left company in February 2005) but my 485 was pending for more than 180 days. After I left the company my 140 was approved (1-140 approved in March 2005) without any RFE and till now my previous company did not withdraw my Green Card application.

~~~~ Infact, you are/were fine even before this new memo came out since your I140 was never withdrawn.

Now my concern is that since the new AC-21 Memorandum came out May 12 th 2005 ....Will INS consider the cases before 12th May . I mean whether this new Memorandam is applicable for the cases before May 12th 2005 .
Secondly , Can INS or my previous company withdrwa/invalid my entire GC process at this point.

~~~~~ Don't worry dude, you are being paranoid for no good reason... :p
as long as u have the new job similar to that described in LC, you are all set.

Thanks
Regards
Wendy

Hi wendymacky

Can you share the URL or doc which you are referring about May 12 Memo....pls

thanks

Ac-21

Hello Aws ,
Many thanks again for your prompt reply .I am a bit tensed and confused because My 1-140 got approved after I left my company but 6 months of 485 was over when I was there in the company . I am doing a same job now on H1-B in a different state now . bEFORE THIS NEW ac-21 Memorandum according to INS law your 1-140 should get approved and 6 months of 485 should be over before you leave your company to continue with your Green card application ...right ?? Do you think this change of address from one state to another state will cause any problem or RFE? Till now my previous company did not withdraw my Green Card processing but can they withdraw it now if they want ?

Thanks
Wendy

wendymacky said:
Hello Aws ,
Many thanks again for your prompt reply .I am a bit tensed and confused because My 1-140 got approved after I left my company but 6 months of 485 was over when I was there in the company . I am doing a same job now on H1-B in a different state now . bEFORE THIS NEW ac-21 Memorandum according to INS law your 1-140 should get approved and 6 months of 485 should be over before you leave your company to continue with your Green card application ...right ??

~~~~~no, you are again going in circles .... :rolleyes:
u left comp A when u passed 180+ days, took similar offer and later, your 140 was approved ...so, u r a winner.... :D

Do you think this change of address from one state to another state will cause any problem or RFE?

~~~ geographical location is no problem at all.

Till now my previous company did not withdraw my Green Card processing but can they withdraw it now if they want ?

~~~~ they can revoke 140, which may trigger a NOID from CIS. all u do is ack promptly and reply to NOID providing EVL from the new company and dates leaving/joining comp A & B.

~~~~ again, don't worry and take it easy. :p
Thanks
Wendy